CHAPTER 5: THE CITY OF ROCK (4)

The atmosphere in the room went cold. Ethan shivered as a tingle pricked through his spine, branching out to every cell in his being. Grunts 1 and 3 both backed themselves up against the walls tightly, trembling with fear. Ethan leaned his head in closer, trying to gauge the situation.

Grunt 2 suddenly collapsed face down to the ground, saliva now pouring out of his mouth, blending in with the streaming tears that gushed from his eyes. "GYAAAAH!" A blood-curdling scream ripped from him, scraping the insides of Ethan's brain. Grunt 2 screeched, hands desperately gripping at his hair. His body violently quaked with fright as the other two stared, helpless and horrified.

'Don't want to look at it? Look at what?' Ethan thought. 'What on earth did he do to him?'

"S...Sir Morgan." Grunt 1 spoke, looking at the man. "Please let him go, we-"

"Silence." Morgan sniped, whipping around to shoot an icy glare. Grunt 1 gulped. "He will learn his lesson after this." he continued pointing at the writhing Grunt, not letting his finger down for a second.

Ethan wracked his brain for every possibility. 'Maybe they're just scared of him? No, they wouldn't react like that. So what's - '

He stopped himself from thinking and began to actually look. He peered down at Morgan and noticed something peculiar. His finger, it was glowing. 'MAGIC' Ethan internally shouted. 'Looks to be some sort of mind manipulation magic. How cruel.'

"Release," Morgan spoke, the glow around his finger vanishing. Grunt 3 zoomed upright, his heart slamming at his chest.

"Learned your lesson?" Morgan asked, with a tone of condescension. "After I'm done here, take the girl somewhere safe. Somewhere where foul people like you can't get to her."

Grunt 2 nodded, dismayed after what he'd experienced. Wiping his eyes with his sleeve, he stumbled to his feet, and attempted to get back into a tough stature. "Yes... yes sir." he whimpered. Morgan pushed past him, and walked towards a phone that sat on a desk in the corner. He tapped in a number on the keys, and the phone beeped. "Hello?" a voice on the other side cautiously answered.

"Number?" Morgan demanded.

The voice stuttered. "E..Excuse me?"

"It's Morgan, Morgan Cayne," he spoke. "Number."

"Oh, It's you. Number 5." the voice quivered.

"So you're squad 15's leader, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

Morgan stuck out his tongue. "Been a while hasn't it. Radio Head."

Ethan's eyes narrowed at the name. 'Radio Head? Why does that sound so familiar?'

Radio Head spoke. "It sure has been a while, aye? Now what do you want from us?"

Morgan grinned. "There's a performance tomorrow, you obviously know who I'm talking about."

"Yeah, what about it?" they replied.

"Kill him."

Ethan's blood went cold.

Radio Head snickered. "Noted, Morgan. When shall we begin preparations?"

"Set preparations for your mission immediately. I'll leave you to it." he said, swiftly hanging up the phone with a smirk. "That's what real men do." he spat towards Grunt 1. "They don't argue, betray or sell children."

The grunts stood in place, all bowing their heads.

"Clean this mess up. Now." Morgan growled. "I must be on my way." He fixed his fedora and made his way towards the door. "And remember," he began, "disobey me, and... well I'm sure you can guess what'll happen."