Prologue

Niko and Camilla~ 6 years old

"Niko!! Give me my Mr. Peters back!!!"
Niko laughs and runs away with Camilla's stuffed toy penguin, "come play with me then," he screams from the other room.
"Niko I wanna play with Sofia," Camilla shouts back.
"Aunt Ava, Niko took Mr.Peters," she complains to Niko's mom.
Bridget and Ava are sitting on the barstools near the kitchen island drinking wine and seeing their children play, "it's okay honey, he just wants to play with you, go on, Sofia is busy with her coloring book anyway," said Bridget to her daughter.
"OK," replies Camilla and goes into the other room where she finds Niko hugging her penguin.
"Cami, I want Mr. Peters," he says.
"Why?? He is my Mr.Peters, I came to play with you, now give him back to me," she replied.
"I want him because you love him more than me," he said.
Camilla walks over to Niko and puts her arms forward and Niko gives back her toy.
Camilla turns to walk away but then keeps her toy on the couch and says, "I don't love him more than you"
A smile lights up Niko's face as she starts to play with Niko's race cars.

Niko and Camilla~ 14 years old

It was Niko and Sofia's fourteenth birthday.
Niko was playing party games with his friends in the game room and Sofia was in the garden with her girlfriends.
The cake was cut, party was about to be over. All of their friends had come except Camilla.
Niko went to the garden but couldn't see her, he kept looking to the door expecting to see a flash of blonde hair walk in but she didn't show.

He walked up to Sofia on the picnic table and asked, "Have you seen Camilla?"
"No, because she's in New York. Uncle Rhys said she won't be able to come to the party."
"She's never around anymore, even though she lives in DC she's in Eldorra half the time and what's up with New York nowadays?"
"Eldorra is her home, in case you forgot, dunmbass," she nudged Niko in the arm.
"Hi Niko, do you wanna join us," asked one of Sofia's friends, "yeah, come on," said another one.
"I'll see you later guys, bye sof," Niko said and left.

Niko walked back into the game room to find Dahlia beating his high score on the X box.
"Heyy don't touch my X box, dally"
"Or what, afraid I'll beat you? Oh wait I did" she replied.
Jeremy and Greyson- Niko's best friend started laughing and Niko stormed off annoyed.

Next week in school Camilla ran up to Niko in the hallway, "Niko, wait up," she said.
Niko turned around with a frown on his face, and stood with his hands in his pockets waiting for Camilla.
" I couldn't make it to the party, I'm sorry. Here," she handed him a gift.
"Happy birthday, I should have called but...yeah"
"It's fine, Cami. I didn't know you weren't at the party. I just thought you were hanging out with Sofia," he said and shrugged.
"Umm.. I kind of wanted to tell you something," Camilla said nervously.
"What? What's wrong Lilly?" He asked with furrowed brows.
"I'm moving to New York, for school." She said
"What's wrong with the school here, why do you have to go to New York?"
"I don't want to but mom and dad think it's good for me. You know them, I was supposed to be home schooled in Eldorra all my life but mom didn't want that life for me and DC middle schools are good but....high school is better there or something....I don't know"
"Oh.. what school?" He asked trying to process what she just told him.
"Some prep school that I bet is filled with snobby girls but I don't have a say in that decision," she added.
"Hmm... well I guess I'll see you around even less then," he said coldly but a flash of hurt passed his eyes.
Camilla looked down at her shoes trying to avoid eye contact at that remark of his knowing well that she was one of his best friends but didn't have time for him.
A beat of silence passed and she spoke up, "I know I'm in Eldorra a lot and we don't talk as much anymore but I will miss you,"
She reached out her hand to his but he just stared at it and said,
"Yeah same,"
She hugged him and walked away without looking back.

She moved to New York soon after and they slowly started growing apart even more.
Weekly phone calls became monthly texts and then only talking when they met at an event or over vacation.

After the first few months of high school they just stopped, Niko grew out of family events and dinners and Camilla became too busy for them.