| DAVINA |

Run. She needed to run.

The rain fell heavy, drenching her within seconds of running out of the motel room door. Her white dress clung to her body, her underwear showing through the now transparent fabric. Her feet were bare, slapping against the concrete parking lot. She sobbed as she ran, barely able to catch her breath, hissing at the pain that shot through her feet as she began her journey down the uneven gravel road and eventually through the thick woodland that encased the sleazy motel she had just abandoned.

The blood that coated her hands began to wash away, the substance no longer sticky and thick. She cried out and stopped in her tracks quickly as she laid her eyes on her hands. She rubbed them against her white dress vigorously, willing the evidence to disappear into the night, to trickle away with the heavy rain.

She wiped the rain from her face as she continued her journey into the darkness.

She was in trouble, a lot of trouble.

She didn't know where or who she could run to, but she ran through the night, hoping that when the sun rose that, this nightmare would leave with the night.

DISCLAIMER:

This is the first book of my Rick Grimes AU 'Names' series. It is unrelated to CHARLOTTE & ELISE (not published yet) and can be read separately and without.

This story has mentions of prostitution, rape, overdose, trauma, drug use (namely heroin and cocaine), and descriptions of drug preparation and usage that may trigger (Chapter 12).

Other warnings will be added when the chapters are posted, but I don't want to spoil the story. I may add a warning at the start of any particular chapter that has something potentially too triggering. However, read this story at your own risk.

This is completely AU. Lori and Rick were never married, so in turn, Carl doesn't exist. However, other characters may appear throughout the story, but with this being a pre-apocalypse story, they will be living everyday lives. Some may appear only in a brief mention; some may have more prominent roles.

I will also add, without spoiling too much, that there will no doubt be some inaccuracies regarding the shift patterns of the police, what officers would attend, what crime scenes, and how they would investigate specific crimes. Google has been my best friend while writing this, but you can only find so much information.

I will be grateful for any corrections, but it's unlikely I will change any of the storylines despite being wrong. I've put a lot of time and effort into this story, so hopefully, anyone who reads can look past the odd inaccuracy for the sake of the plot.

With this story being completely AU, some characters may appear out of character. If this is not for you, I don't recommend continuing with this book or any others on my page. However, as I always say, we don't know who or what The Walking Dead characters could have been or what they could've done if the apocalypse hadn't happened. Plus, this is my way of being able to write stories. I enjoy writing my own ideas, but I do struggle with my own characters, and I know I am not alone in my love of AU stories.

Lastly, I have tried to use American terminology as much as possible, but I'm sure I have slipped up along the way. Spelling will be English (UK), so there's not much need to correct me with words such as colour - color, realise - realize etc.

Any comments are welcome, and if you enjoy the book, please give it a vote.

Thank you.