24 - The war

Belmont

The dinner was tasteless and I picked at the food while my mind wandered. Anthony was constantly talking about plans and strategies, names of important people were thrown into the air but I couldn't hear anything. I was deep in my own thoughts.

I thought about everything that Rami had said and I was curious about all the other types of vampires, I wanted to know more but I got the feeling that it was taboo to talk about such things with anyone in this house.

I glanced over at Clock who was sitting diagonally opposite me, maybe not all of them. But he had stayed away from me lately, he smelled of Anthony and I remembered Lu telling me their relationship was complicated. He'd been leaving my training to Sheen and Joel. I didn't mind hanging out with them, but my head hurt from all the thoughts spinning in there, they needed to come out. The thoughts and all the damn feelings.

"Belmont?" I flinched at the harsh pronunciation of my name, it was probably not the first time he'd called out to me. "Do you want to tell me what's on your mind?"

I met Anthony's gaze and it held me in an iron grip. "Only minor concerns, monsieur."

His eyes narrowed as if he was trying to read my mind. "Are you enjoying Clocksworth's group?"

The question made me jump, it was probably the first time Anthony asked me something personal. Damn, it must be a trick question, what the hell is he after, I thought suspiciously. "If Lumiere needs me for more paperwork, I can..."

His wicked grin interrupted me, "You're smart."

"Thank you sir."

He licked his lips and got up from his chair, "Lumiere has a new helper, right?"

Lu nodded and emptied his glass, "Chip has proved himself useful."

I smiled to myself, so the boy had stepped out of the kitchen and into the rooms where the important decisions were made. I was happy for him and hoped that one day I would run into him and congratulate him.

"So no, Belmont, we don't need you up here. You're Clocksworth's responsibility now, as you know," he said coldly.

I nodded and started poking at the food again. Whatever they had discussed before dinner, I knew it had been about me and I had a feeling it was bad news for me. When Clock had given me his blood, I had gone from Anthony's favorite to becoming one of Clock's misfits. I didn't mind, I liked it better down there, but the Prince's attitude made me uncomfortable.

"I like it," I mumbled.

Anthony chuckled, "Just as I suspected."

I felt Clocksworth's burning gaze and I raised my eyes to meet it. My heart was racing but I pretended to be unconcerned. We looked at each other for a while before he excused himself and left the table. I picked at my food some more and waited for the rest to leave. It took about half an hour before I was finally alone and able to relax, but I pushed the plate across the table, left the room and headed for layer B.

The blood calmed my anxiety, but the questions remained unanswered and suddenly my feet were outside Anthony's study. "Your Majesty..."

Anthony raised his eyes from the papers on his desk and looked amused. "Why so formal Belmont? There must be something important on your mind."

I took a step forward and nodded, "you said you had answers to all my questions."

He studied me for a long time before pushing his chair back and crossing his legs, "what do you want to know?"

I gathered my courage and pulled out a chair while he lit his cigar and waited for me to answer him. "Are there different types of vampires?"

He raised one eyebrow, "You already know that."