16 - One of us

Belmont

"We have a problem," I sighed, but didn't get the response I was hoping for.

Instead, Clocksworth looked up at me lazily from the deck chair, which looked wildly out of place in the darkness, as I stepped out onto the terrace. He sat and smoked a cigar as usual, but this time he looked really relaxed as he rested his feet on the railing. I suspected  the reason was the half empty whiskey bottle on the ground next to him.

"And you're sure I'm part of the problem?" he grinned, "because if I'm not, I sure as hell don't want to get involved."

I rolled my eyes and picked up the bottle to take a sip. "Someone is stealing from us."

Slowly he lowered his feet to the stone slabs and sat hunched over with his elbows resting on his knees. "Do you have proof?" His voice sounded dark and serious for once and he looked up at me with concerned eyes and a frown between his eyebrows.

I nodded before pulling out the stack of papers and showing all the red-marked lines. "These boxes never arrived."

"Merde," he muttered, scratching his head. "Does he know?"

"Not yet."

Clock nodded, "let me have a look around first, don't  mention anything until we know more details."

I nodded again and let out a tentative, "sure."

"You don't want to bother him with small things," he muttered as he noticed my hesitation while I was placing the papers back in my pocket and took another swig from the bottle. I could feel the stare from those dark brown eyes as I handed it back. "Are you doing alright?" he asked and I couldn't help but wonder why he suddenly changed the topic.

"I'm okay, I have a lot to learn," I replied as lightly as I could.

Clocksworth leaned back in his chair again and the playful smile was back on his lips, "working for me would have been easier."

"What do you do?" I asked curiously and took a step forward to lean my back on the railing.

"Guarding premises, collecting money, checking up on people to make sure they do what they're supposed to... and I torture the occasional asshole." I choked on the whiskey and coughed so hard I thought I'd throw up. Clocksworth laughed out loud and gave me a cheerful pat on the back. "Damn, you're weak, Little one." My eyes were tearing up and my throat was burning like hell, so all I could do was give him a reproachful look. "We can change that, you know," he continued, looking mischievous.

"What do you mean?" I asked a little nervously, wiping my mouth with my shirt sleeve.

"You could become one of us, for real."

I shuddered, "Stop it, damn it, I don't want to be involved any more than I already am," I muttered and went to sit on the stone railing.

He followed me with his eyes and I could feel him studying me closely, "You've hardly moved around in the castle."

"No." It was true, I moved from my bedroom to Anthonys office, the dining room and sometimes the library. That was mostly it.

"Are you scared?"

I turned to look out over the garden to hide the color flaring up in my face, "yes."

He chuckled as he stood up and joined me at the railing. "I can give you a tour." Slowly I turned back towards him, so my legs dangled inwards and he placed himself  carefree in front of me with his hands on either side of me. "No one will touch you, you know that."

"That's not what I'm afraid of," I muttered quietly, and something inside me hoped he wouldn't hear me. I couldn't even meet his gaze, staring so intensely at me, so close to my face.