17 - Cigars

Clocksworth

"You're in over your head," Lumiere muttered in the chair in front of me, a worried look in his eyes.

"Shut up Lu, you have no idea what's going on," I snapped back, unable to look him in the eye, it was one of those days when I had been drinking way too much and it had started to affect my balance.

"Our master will not see kindly to you toying with the boy," he continued, ignoring my irritation. "You have not shared Anthony's bed for a long time. Are you afraid he wants to replace you?" he teased, but he had no idea he hit the bullseye.

My plan had been to make Anthony jealous, but my master had turned the tables and forced me to taste my own medicine. He had made Bel his little assistant, probably to drive me crazy. I missed him, his touch, just being in his presence. Ever since we moved back to France, we had been drifting further and further apart. I visited his bed sometimes, but I had long since stopped whispering my feelings to him. Still, I couldn't help longing for him. For as long as he let me slide down between his sheets, I would not stop visiting him.

"I'm an idiot," I muttered, swallowing my fifth glass of whiskey.

"He's the idiot," Lumiere said softly, and for the first time in a long time I could hear my brother in his voice.

"I was so damn close, I almost had him," I whispered as I watched Lumiere stiffen, our master had entered the dining room and heard my last words.

Subdued by all the alcohol, I couldn't tell what he was thinking or feeling but it was better that way and to avoid suffering more, I got up to leave. But before I reached the door, Anthony had grabbed my arm.

"Leave us Lumiere," he commanded, and a chill went down my spine. Lumiere slowly got up from his chair, giving me a worried look before leaving the room and closing the door behind him. Anthony's eyes swept over me with disgust in his gaze, "your fondness for whiskey is starting to go to your head Theodore," he muttered, "and all the other things you put in your body."

"I can't stand my feelings right now, and the whiskey helps," I replied, and my honesty made his cold wall wobble.

"Theodore," he whispered, a hand suddenly caressing my cheek, "stop using the pills and I'll welcome you back in my bed." I felt my body being pulled towards him, emotions overflowing after weeks of anxiety from being away from him. Our bond made each day more and more painful, the invisible string pulling us towards each other even though we both fought against it. For two completely different reasons. Finally, I couldn't resist anymore and wrapped my arms around his body and buried my face in his neck to feel the strength that vibrated from him. A gentle hand caressed the back of my head, a pair of lips pressed themselves to my temple before he released his grip. "Join me tonight," he murmured before leaving me empty and lost in the large dining room.

 "Join me tonight," he murmured before leaving me empty and lost in the large dining room

Belmont

The pile of paperwork grew by the day, it felt like a never-ending task to read through all the invoices and quotes.