22- A shade of green

Belmont

They had been completely unprepared for our arrival. And I was not prepared for the violence that would unfold before my eyes. Of course I'd held a gun before, I had shot at people, threatened idiots with a knife and been in fights. There was nothing strange in the area where I grew up, you had to fend for yourself and everybody was a petty criminal. But this was pure slaughter. I was in the middle of a war between two vampire princes and it was so much bigger than I ever imagined.

The first attack had been over in an instant, Clock was systematic and fucking fearless and the place ended up with bodies all over the backyard thanks to his surprise tactics. I watched as Clocksworth stepped over the bodies and walked towards the warehouse and I could only trust that he knew what he was doing. All I could do was follow on shaky legs. 

Without making the slightest effort to hide, he opened the door and shot a vampire in cold blood in the head with the gun he had pulled out of his pants. Then he stood in the middle of the room with his arms outstretched and taunted loudly, "SHOW YOURSELF!" I stayed at the doorway to make sure no one attacked us from behind and waited with a high pulse for whoever was hiding in the room. "You know I'll find you sooner or later...!" Clock shouted irritably but no one answered.

He turned to me and nodded for me to move to the right towards a stack of wooden boxes. I reloaded the gun and crept towards the pile with silent steps. I only got halfway there before a shot was fired and I turned around in a panic to make sure Clock was okay. But the shot came from another direction.

"Fuckl," he sighed, "we needed him alive."

I looked down at the vampire who had shot himself in the head, it was clear that he would rather die than be captured and tortured by Clock. "What do we do now?"

"Look for the bottles and other evidence," he muttered sourly.

I nodded and began the search, but my hands were still shaking and my head was spinning. He'd killed between fifteen and twenty people all by himself, and I knew he didn't need me to tag along. I was only there because Anthony demanded it, as if it was some kind of punishment for the both of us. The rest of Clocksworth's group of soldiers had been sent to similar locations to secure our stocks and protect our assets. Clock was the one Anthony trusted the most and the one who did the dirty work that no one else could do. I looked over at him as he walked around breaking open wooden boxes with a crowbar and pouring the contents onto the floor.

"You can stop breaking things now," I teased, holding up a piece of paper. "What we're looking for is in another warehouse." Clock kicked aside a pile of bags of some kind of pasta and I looked around thoughtfully. All this surveillance for some macaroni?

Clock took the paper from my hand and skimmed through it. "Come on, let's go."

"Wine and pasta?" I muttered when we were back in the car, "is that what we are looking for?"

Clock leaned his elbow on the car door and ran his hand through his hair. "What the market wants."

My head was spinning and I could feel the adrenaline leaving my body and how tired I really was, so I leaned my head back and closed my eyes for a while. "So we deal with heavy drugs?"

I shivered all over as Clock ran his fingers over my exposed throat, "nobody touched you, did they?"

But I shook my head, "I'm okay."

"Sleep if you want, there will be even more of them at the next place."

I frowned and looked at him, "So Anthony is some kind of immortal drug prince?"