Chapter 15

Mal's POV

As soon as Morgana walked away from me, I immediately went online and made a dinner reservation for tonight to celebrate. I invited a few of our Red Stars teammates, and called up a few important people. 

Once she was off the phone with Hatchy, she gave me a quick recap of how it went, and then she went to call her grandma again so she could talk to her cousins. 

"Do you mind if I go to Emily's for, like, an hour? She needs help moving something." I asked. 

"No, go ahead. Be careful, please." 

"It's not heavy stuff, she just wanted help." 

"'Kay." She said, and walked into the kitchen to talk to her grandma, who'd been waiting for her to call. "Bonjour, grand-mère." I heard as she rounded the corner. 

"Don't forget to feed Champ in 15 minutes, love!" I said as I grabbed my purse and keys. 

"Oui, j'ai compris!" She yelled to me. 

"I don't know what that means!" 

"I got it!" She translated, and then I walked out the door with a sigh. 

I had a plan, and I was absolutely going to go through with it tonight. 

----------

Morgana's POV

Talking to Hatchy broke my heart. The call was short because she was still processing everything, so I didn't make her talk much. 

Then I talked to my grandma again.

After she retired, she moved back to France for two years with her daughter, my aunt, and my uncle and cousins. She hasn't been back to America since, except for Lena's funeral, but she wanted to be back here for whatever reason. I can't help but selfishly think it's because of me. She's the one who introduced me to soccer. She used to take me to the fields to watch all the older kids when I was little, which is what really inspired both Lena and I to play. It's been hard with her living so far away and in such a different time zone so we haven't talked as much as I would have liked to. 

It was nice that she knew I would get the call today. 

I heard the rest of my family go crazy in the background of the phone call which made me laugh. I talked to my cousins for a few minutes before my grandma took the phone back. My cousins are relatively close to my age; Elias is 17 and plays soccer for PSG's academy team, and Gisele and Genevieve are both 22, so just a bit older than me, the former playing at PSG and the latter plays at Real Madrid Feminino. So clearly, soccer runs in the family. 

The twins told me that they hear about their roster tomorrow. Both of them had been called into camps since last summer (right after we played France in the SheBelieves, which would have been fun to play up against my cousins), and while Gisele had started quite a few games recently, Genevieve was afraid of being dropped from the squad. She only felt they needed her when a ton of injuries hit the French national team, so she didn't have high expectations. 

Then I chatted with my grandma, and just like every time we talk on the phone, it hits hard how much I miss her not being around. I'm so happy she's moving back. While we won't be living close it's better than living across the Atlantic Ocean. 

When I got off the phone with them all, it was just Champ and I.

"I'm going to the World Cup, Champ. I'm going to the World Cup." I said, sitting down on the ground and squeezing her face. "I can't believe I'm really going to the World Cup." I laughed, and she started licking me all over my face.