Chapter 3

Sophia's POV

The game ended as a win for us, but we couldn't celebrate. Not one of us. 

The locker room was pretty much silent, everyone doing their own thing, ignoring the elephant in the room. Naomi's locker was to the left of mine and Lindsey's on the right with Mal on the other side of her, so there was usually a lot of laughs, but today was silent. 

I nabbed a gatorade from Naomi's bag when she wasn't looking and climbed into my locker. We were all waiting for Vlatko to give us the post-game speech and to hear the news about Mal. 

"Did Morgana or Mal text you?" Trin asked, coming over and sitting on the edge of my locker.

"Nope." I sighed, checking my phone again. 

"Anyone at all?" 

"Not that I know of." 

"Aw shit." She slammed her hand down, then eyed up my Gatorade. 

"Want it?"  

"Yes please." 

I gave it to her and she took a sip just as Naomi looked at her. 

"Hey Trin! Get out of my stuff!" SHe laughed. "Go back to your own locker! Look at how lonely Foxy is." 

She sighed and stood up, reaching out her hand to me. I put my hand in hers, she squeezed it, giving me a sad look before she walked away. A few seconds later, I got hit in the head with a half full Gatorade bottle. 

When Vlatko finally came in, the place fell even more silent than it was before. 

"I just got the text from Morgana." He said. "I'm going to read word for word what she said." 

Everyone nodded and looked at each other. Lindsey had her head in her hands, Sanchito had a quivering lip, Trinity stared at the ground, Kelley was standing in the middle of the room, and Hatchy had finally come out of the depths of her locker. 

"Hey Vlatko! Got to watch the second half of the game and knew I needed to congratulate the team. They ran a few different tests on Mal and..." 

----------

Morgana's POV

"They said she has a torn patella tendon. She needs surgery and they are going to transfer her back home to Chicago later tonight. She'll be out for 6 months roughly. 
She'll miss the World Cup." 

I clicked send, my head pounding and my heart aching. 

I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting for them to be done with one last test. She told me what to write, and I hesitated to send it, reading it over and over again. 

I have no idea what I can do at this point. I don't know if U.S. Soccer will allow me to go back to Chicago with her, I don't know if I want to stay here, I don't know if I want to go. 

My decision has to be in within the next few hours. Mal's parents are already getting their stuff ready to head to Chicago since the surgery will be almost immediate. We haven't even contacted Petrucelli, our coach at the Red Stars. 

I felt so sad for her, so lost almost. To not have her by my side for games in the near future breaks my heart. She's been beside me for every game I've played at this level, national team and club. It will be a big adjustment, but I'll have to deal with it. 

I texted Chloe next. I contemplated calling her, because hearing her voice would make me feel better. 

I can't even imagine what Mal is feeling right now. She's all alone, in pain, in that stupid room and I'm not even allowed in. 

No matter how many times I told her everything was going to be okay, we both knew it would be a while until that was true. 

I sent a group text to our griup chat with Hatchy, Sanchito, Soph, Trin and Kelley, and I hesitated on answering the texts from the other girls. I waited to see what Mal wanted me to say. 

"We're going to transfer her at 8:00 tonight. Helicopter, the ride is about 2 and a half hours long. I assume you're coming with?" The doctor said. 

"Yeah." I replied. "I am." 

My decision was made, I don't care what US Soccer or Vlatko has to say about it. 

I sighed and pulled out my phone to let Hatchy, asking her to gather what Mal and I'd left and that I'd be by the hotel to pick it up as soon as possible. 

----------

I walked in the hotel and pretty much everyone was sitting in the lobby.

"Hatchy." I whispered in her ear when she hugged me. "I wanted this to be an easy, painless pickup. Not a whole intervention." 

"It was Sanchez's fault, not mine." 

I sighed and finally faced the group. I gave them the basic rundown on what was going on, and everyone listened attentively. 

When I was done, they all went their own ways silently, some following others. I called Alyssa back and we came up with a plan. 

I had no idea whether I'd be back or not, but I wasn't about to bring all my bags home if I wasn't, so Alyssa said she'd bring home my suitcase if I don;t come back. 

I went to my room and grabbed the stuff I needed for the night, packed up my own things just in case, and packed up Mal's things. I gave Hatchy Mal's room key in case she had to get in for some reason. I grabbed Mal's bags and my own small bag, and I got a ride to the hospital. 

----------

Happy gameday! USWNT takes on Sweden in T-4 hours and 20 minutes, I'm petrified and have no idea why I'm still awake if I have to get up at 5 am. Anyway hope everyone's enjoying the story :)