Go Figure... Eight

The families went to eat lunch together, where the grown-ups phones pinged, signifying a notification from their cruise app. The news that the ice skating rink was open delighted the Spaniels, and not so much the Labradors. Since Winnie's family was from England, they used to skate often in the cold English winters. On the contrary, the Labs were born and raised in the land down under. It helped that they were open to new sports. They ate a fast lunch and went to the rink.

When they arrived, the Spaniels practically looked like a whirlwind, fastening their ice skates on and sprinting onto the ice. Winnie and Tillie immediately did tricks like figure eights and barrel rolls. Fido and Ophelia stretched a bit before skating. Eventually, they started.

Janelle was the first Lab on the ice, hence her gymnast history. She caught on pretty quick with the help of Ophelia. Janelle proceeded to help Pat, and Chucky managed to hold onto the rail, ultimately figuring it out. That left Lucky to pretend to adjust his skates for approximately fifteen minutes.

"Lucky, are you ever gonna come skate?" Chucky called.

"You know how I hate failing!" Lucky responded.

"You hate losing, not failing." Chucky quipped. "Logic."

"LoGiC" repeated Lucky, mockingly.

"That's a little rude, Lucky," a mysterious voice said.

Lucky turned around to see a slightly agitated Winnie.

"Ohhhh..." Lucky nervously explained. "We- we usually tease each other."

"No, we don't," Chucky said.

"He's joking," Lucky laughed aggressively, then shot Chucky a "Chilli Stare".

"OH, SURE! OBVIOUSLY!" Chucky very sarcastically blurted.

Winnie shrugged and went back onto the ice. Tillie glanced their way, tilted her head to the side, and muttered "Eh." She thought what happened was normal, like a regular sibling talk.

Eventually, Lucky staggered onto the ice, slipping and stumbling.He fell onto his butt multiple times. He almost gave up. Just as he attempted to get up to wobble back to safe ground, he felt a paw help him up. He didn't look at his savior, but merely noticed the chocolate-tinted fur on this dog's hand. He flipped his head backward to see Winnie with a sweet smile on her face.

"Don't Just keep sitting there, your butt will get frostbite," she joked.

Lucky gave her a smirk. "I'll be fine on my own," he reassured her (and himself) as he scrambled to get up.

"Famous last words," Winnie responded.

Lucky kept attempting to skate while Winnie reluctantly watched.

"That's it. I'm tired of watching you fail. Let me help," she said.

Winnie skated toward Lucky as he repeatedly had a negative outcome. When she arrived, Lucky slipped once again. This time, however, he took Winnie down with him. Lucky hit the cold ice on his back, and Winnie fell on his chest. She was so close, she could feel Lucky's heart beating. Despite his warm, welcoming, soft fur, Winnie pulled herself away from Lucky, blushing profusely. She noticed Lucky blushing too, but who wouldn't if someone just fell on you? Winnie quickly got to her feet (paws, idk anymore) and tried to help Lucky up without his slipping again. She then showed him how to position his feet and push off. He insisted on Winnie now firmly holding his paw in hers, and Winnie really didn't mind that much. Lucky was actually pretty decent at it within ten minutes.

"I think I'm getting better!" Lucky cheered.

"Don't jinx it," Winnie teased as Lucky stumbled once again.

She's so talented and beautiful, Lucky thought.

But would he ever fall for a girl like me? Winnie similarly wondered.

Lucky was surprisingly better than before after about twenty-five minutes of vigorous practice. He dared to do something risky. Winnie's a good skater. She wouldn't mind, right? he reasoned to himself silently. He agreed with himself and did what his gut told him to. Since Lucky was on a real touch football team, he was reasonably strong. He decided to pick up Winnie and spin with her in his arms. He paused for a moment.

"What's up?" Winnie asked. "Is something wrong?"

Without warning, Lucky smiled at Winnie with a bit of confidence. Before she could respond, Lucky picked Winnie up from around her waist. He raised his arms with Winnie in tow and smiled sweetly. Winnie felt a blush creep onto her face. She smiled back, and Lucky spun around. At that moment, he couldn't tell Winnie's emotions. She was just smiling with her eyes closed, as if she felt like she was flying. Once Lucky stopped, Winnie looked amazed and... flushed? He assumed this was a win and skated away to Chucky.

"I saw that, you sly dog!" Chucky nudged Lucky's arm. "She was really impressed. I think she likes you!"

"Me?" said Lucky, with a bit of reluctance in his voice. "No way. We're so different. She would never fall for me."

"You never know," Chucky replied.

As their conversation ended, another began on the opposite side of the rink.

"Winnie, you're like, really red," Tillie noticed.

"Really? Is it bad?" Winnie put a paw over her cheek, but stopped when she saw Lucky staring at her. He quickly looked away after that.

"I think he likes you," Tillie teased.

"What! No, we're too unalike." Winnie responded.

"Speak for yourself," Tillie rolled her eyes as she glanced Lucky's way.

The Labs weren't good enough not to make mistakes. They frequently slipped and fell. Among the most accidents was Lucky, stumbling and falling on his back, butt, face, and Winnie. Janelle and Pat didn't stray far from the railing. Chucky was very ambitious and even learned a few tricks from Tillie. Soon, it was time for dinner.

_____________________________

I'M ACTUALLY SO SORRY FOR ONLY UPDATING ONCE LAST WEEK! I PROMISE I'LL GET BETTER!

Also, if you haven't seen my announcement, I won't be updating from now until, like, beginning of January.  I'm traveling a bunch, but I'll update as soon as I get back!

Thank you so much to @Hola70050, @SolarPYT, and @N1PST3R for adding this story to their reading lists! It really makes my day!

Anyways, hope you liked this extra-long chapter!

- blueyobsessed17