Chapter 13: In Which Can Reads Sanem's Letters

Author's note: The poems are not mine. I have tried to credit the poets.

***

Can sat on the beach, the notes scattered around him as he read them over and over again. Each one was like a dagger to his heart, piercing through his guilt and remorse. He couldn't believe how much he had hurt Sanem with his actions.

His mind replayed their last conversation, every word and emotion etched into his memory. He had been so selfish, only thinking about himself and not considering how his sudden departure would affect Sanem.

But reading her words now, he could feel the depth of her love for him and the pain of his absence. And it broke him.

"I was scared," she had written, "scared that you didn't love me enough to stay. But now I know that you never truly loved me at all."

The weight of those words hit Can like a ton of bricks. He had always loved Sanem, but he had let his own insecurities and fears get in the way. He had pushed her away instead of holding onto her with all his might.

Tears blurred his vision as he reached for another note, unfolding it with shaky hands.

"But I still love you," it read, "and I always will."

Can felt a lump form in his throat as he read those words. He couldn't bear to think that he had lost Sanem forever because of his foolishness.

He read on.