Chapter 4: In Which Can tries to get away

Can stood on the patio, gazing out at the ripples on the surface the swimming pool as the window billowed gently. The weight of heartbreak and lies bore heavily on him, making it difficult to breathe. He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply, trying to find solace in the crisp morning air.

"Good morning, Brother," Emre said, joined him with a hesitant step. "I heard about what happened. I'm so sorry."

"Thank you, Emre," Can replied, his voice a low rumble. "But apologies won't mend what's broken. I hope you didn't tell our mother that I'm thinking of going away," Can asked, leaning against the balcony railing.

"Of course not," Emre shook his head. "I promised you I wouldn't say anything. "Are you really going away to the Balkans?" Emre said, placing a hand on Can's shoulder. "Perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty."

"I'm still deciding."

"Can, why would you want to leave behind the life you've built here? Your family is here."

"Because there is nothing keeping me here anymore."

"You're giving up so easily?"

"Emre, everything is ruined. It's over."

"But, Brother-"

"Emre, I don't need your advice. Please don't presume to tell me what to do. I'll see you at the office." Can stalked off.

***

Polen met Huma at a luxurious restaurant the next day, where they sat in a secluded corner booth, sipping on champagne and revelling in Sanem's misfortune.

"Can you believe it, Huma?" Polen giggled, her eyes gleaming with malice. "Sanem was foolish enough to sign over her perfume formula to Fabri! And now Can has finally seen her for who she truly is."

Huma raised her glass, clinking it against Polen's

Huma raised her glass, clinking it against Polen's. "It's about time, my dear. Oh how I would have loved to be there to see how that girl begged for forgiveness," Huma chuckled, daintily cutting into her succulent medium-well steak with her knife and fork.

"It was something!" Polen laughed. "He was so cold to her."

"I bet. He couldn't forgive his own mother for years, why would he forgive her?" Huma grinned. "Well, I hope he's considering your offer. It'll be perfect for him. And now, we must find a way to ensure that you replace Sanem in Can's life and his company."