Homecoming

After a tiring day, Parvati had dozed off to sleep while putting Ganesh to sleep. He laid beside her, deep in slumber as his mother also got a chance to take a nap. This was the sight that Shiva saw when he entered their cave at night. He smiled softly at the sleeping silhouette of his wife and son. He gently sat down beside beside Parvati and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You've had a long day. You deserve some rest."

Saying so, he got up to leave when a hand caught him from behind. He turned to see Parvati sitting up with her eyes slightly opened.

"You had come to say something. Say it. But softly, I have just put Vinayak to sleep."

Shiva again sat down beside her and said softly, "I just got the news, Kartikeya is coming back tomorrow."

"Really?" Parvati said out excitedly but immediately quited down as Ganesh stirred beside her.

"What Uma, you only told me to talk softly" Shiva teased. Parvati bit her tongue.

"Sorry.. It's just I got excited hearing the news. Finally my Skanda is returning. I can't wait to see him and introduce him to his brother."

"Me too, Uma. Me too."

Parvati laid her head against her husband's chest and he wrapped her around with his strong arms as she went back to sleep.

.......................

The next morning came with a sense of enthusiasm in Kailash. Everyone was busy preparing for the return of their Kumar Kartikeya. Parvati was waiting with anticipation to see her son again. Ganesh was also excited to meet his elder brother about whom he had heard about so much. Soon, the sound of a peacock echoed through the mountains and then Kartikeya landed on the peacock. He mounted off and turned towards his parents. He was seeing them for a long time. Kartikeya went and touched his parent's feet and took their blessings.

"You finally remembered your mother, huh?" Parvati said as she smiled through her tears and hugged her son.

"There hasn't been a day when I did not think about you, Maa. I really wanted to come back, especially when you sent the news of my brother's arrival but my duties prevented me from coming back. I really missed home."

Kartikeya went to his father next who embraced him as well.

"Welcome back, son. Kailash was empty without your presence. We're extremely glad that you could come back. I hope you could stay longer this time."

"Me too, Pitashree. I also want to stay here especially that I have a younger brother now. Speaking about that, where is he? I cannot wait to meet him."

As he was saying, a little kid came running.

"Maa, is bhaiya here?"

Parvati smiled and called him towards her. Then she introduced him to Kartikeya.

"Just like you have been waiting to meet him, Ganesh too has been waiting to see his elder brother. Only just hearing about you, he has started to idolise you. There you go, this is your younger brother Ganesh. And Vinayak, this is your elder brother Kartikeya. Go and take his blessings."

Ganesh bent down to touch Kartikeya's feet but the latter stopped him and sat down to his level.

"You will always have my blessings, bhai. I can't believe yet that I have a younger brother now and that also this small and cute" Kartikeya said and picked him up in his arms and both of them laughed and chatted. They got along immediately. Seeing them, Parvati wiped her tears from her eyes. Shiva placed his hand on her shoulder.

"What happened, Uma? I thought this was the moment you have been waiting for, so why are you crying?"

"You are right, Mahadev but these tears are my tears of joy. I have been waiting to see both my children together for a long time and that day has finally come. It makes me immensely happy that they took a liking to each other so quickly. Today, at this moment, I feel the happiest in these three worlds. "

Shiva warmly wrapped his left hand around her shoulder, supporting her statement.

"You are right, Uma. It truly feels that now we are complete."

By then, Kartikeya and Ganesh turned to their parents as they invited them. The two boys also joined in the embrace of their parents. The others left the family to their privacy for a while.

..................

"Skanda, look at you. You haven't eaten properly in a while. If you go on like this then you will not get your strength to fight. You should check your food habits."

Parvati was feeding her sons with her own hands and the boys were relishing this time as well.

"Maa, I have told you that I am not skipping my meals. I am eating properly. You say this everytime I come here" Kartikeya said and Parvati laughed softly.

"What can I do, son? This is the thing with mothers. Even my mother says the exact same thing whenever I meet her. We always like to look out for our children. But don't worry, now that you are here it is my responsibility to look after you in every way."

"And what about me?" Ganesh said, pouting in the middle of their conversation.

"Bhai, you are already Maa's favorite. Now let me get pampered as well. And anyways if Maa looks after me, I will look after you. It's a cycle you see" Kartikeya reassured him.

"Then what about Pitashree? Who will look after him?"

The innocent question from Ganesh made the other two burst into laughter and Ganesh also joined in a while.