Moments To Cherish

After taking his parent's blessings, Vinayak proceeded towards the others present. He first went to Vishnu.

"Mama, I apologise to you as well. I disrespected you and was about to fight with you."

Vishnu sat down to his level and smilingly hugged the child.

"Kid, you don't need to apologise for anything. The past is past. We don't need to dwell on it anymore. What you should focus on is improving your future and you've got such amazing parents for that. All my best wishes to you. And I'm always here to help you cause mischief."

Vinayak giggled and then went to the other dieties and the ganas to ask for forgiveness and took all their blessings. Then Shiva called him to him.

"Son, although you had faults in your character, it cannot be denied that what you did was heroic. You kept your promise to your mother at the cost of your life. You love your mother so much that you didn't hesitate to sacrifice your life for her word and that is commendable. You became an obstacle for me to remove obstacles from your mother's path. That is why from today you will be worshipped as 'Vighnaharta' (remover of obstacles) and 'Vignakarta' (creator of obstacles for protection). You will be the first diety who will be provoked before any auspicious work or the worship of any other God. You will be immensely intelligent and wise and your childlike innocence will bring goodness into this world. You will forever be worshipped as a child, the most auspicious form. From today, I appoint you as the leader or 'Isha' of my ganas and you will be named as 'Ganpati' or 'Ganesh'" Shiva announced. Vinayak touched his feet once again and thanked him for his blessings. Parvati too blessed her son.

"Putra, I will always stay with you and protect you as 'Ganeshjanani'. As your mother. No harm can ever touch you with me being here."

"Son, I too bless you that you will always be bountiful and rich in character. Shree will stay by your side. As the Lord of beginnings, you will be worshipped along with me during special occasions" said Lakshmi.

Saraswati also came forward, "You will be the wisest amongst scholars despite your young age. I will always stay by you as your knowledge."

Overwhelmed, Vinayak thanked everyone heartily. Then the Gods took their leave from Shiva and Parvati and went back to their abodes. As everyone left, Vinayak turned to his mother.

"Maa, I'm hungry!! I haven't eaten anything in a long time. You had given me so few Modaks but a lot had happened since then and my tummy is empty again. Won't you feed me?"

Parvati smiled and nodded, "Of course, my sweetheart. Go inside the cave. I'm coming."

Vinayak happily ran inside. Parvati was about to follow him in as well when Shiva held her hand from behind.

"What happened, Mahadev?"

"Uma, before you go, I wanted to say something. I'm sorry that I couldn't control my anger. I got the best of myself and ended up killing our own son. You know why everything happened but I still want to apologise that I caused you pain."

Shiva joined his hands in front of her but Parvati immediately held them and shook her head.

"No, Mahadev. Please don't say this. Like you said, I know why you did what you did. Yes I was hurt but I too need to apologise to you for how I behaved with you. I was ready to destroy this universe which was a mistake on my part as the mother of this world. "

Shiva caressed her face, "Uma, I haven't seen you in so long. Maybe that's why I became so impatient to see you that I failed to follow your boundaries once more so I promise you from today, I will always respect your wishes. I will never cross your boundaries without your wish."

Parvati smiled through her flowing tears and touched her forehead with his.

"Thank you. Thank you for understanding. I love you so much, darling!"

"I love you too, Uma! You are my world."

Shiva gently leant and their lips met in a long awaited, passionate kiss. They parted but still stayed in each other's arms when suddenly a voice came from inside the cave.

"Maaaaaa! Come here, I'm hungry!"

Parvati laughed a little, "There you go, your son's call. I gotta go."

Shiva smiled and nodded and Parvati went inside.

...............

Parvati came in to her room with a plate of Modaks and saw Ganesh sitting on Shiva's lap. He was chatting non stop and Shiva was listening to him in wonder. Parvati smiled seeing them.

"Now do you see what I meant, Mahadev? Your son talks a lot!"

Shiva looked up at her and nodded.

"Exactly. Whatever he is saying is so wondrous. He is intelligent and has the child like innocence at the same time. I can't help but listen to him."

"Well, then I have the perfect way to shut him up."

Parvati held the plate of Modaks in front of Ganesh and his eyes lit up.

"Modak! Maa, feed it to me na! I can't wait."

Parvati chuckled and fed him the sweets as Shiva caressed his head. As he ate, he tried to wipe his mouth but his trunk came in his way.

"Oops! I'm still not used to this. But you know Ma what I can do?" Ganesh said and took in some breath and blew through his trunk and sucked in all the Modaks into his mouth.

"Oh, you little troublemaker! Wait, I'll show you" Parvati said and tickled him. Ganesh started to laugh uncontrollably.

"Maa!"

Shiva laughed seeing their plays. After a while, both the mother and son got tired as they had gone through a lot that day and soon they fell asleep. Ganesh laid on Shiva's lap and Parvati laid her head on his shoulder. Shiva looked at the two with a gentle smile and kissed their foreheads and stroked their head. He was in a state of bliss as the Shiva, who belonged to the entire universe, finally got the pleasure of his own family.