Motorbikes and punchbags - P2

Natasha

I found my daughter's motorbike on the side of the road near the entrance to the canal. I got off mine, kicking down the stand, before running down the canal. I kept trying to call Ana, but it kept going to voicemail.

"Come on Ana," I muttered, putting the phone to my ear for the 600th time.

It rang through.

"Hey mom," I heard Ana's voice - quiet but audible.

"Anastasia Belova Romanoff-Rogers, where are you?" I demanded down the phone.

"By the canal."

"I know that, how far down?"

I ran down the path, searching for my defiant daughter.

"That really large oak tree, halfway down the canal," Ana replied, her last words becoming stuttered and wobbly.

"Ana, are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm not doing anything stupid."

Thank god I thought, as I looked around for the oak tree. I eventually found it and saw Ana sitting halfway up it on a thick bough, back resting against the trunk and earphones in, eyes closed. I went to the bottom of the tree and called up, "Ana, come down!"

She looked down at me and I noticed her green eyes were watery and the skin around her eyes was red.

"Ana..." I didn't know what to say to make her come down.

What she was doing could be worse, but still. To my relief, Ana began to climb down, putting her phone and earphones in her trouser pocket. When she got down to the ground, I immediately hugged her.

"Mom, chill!" Ana pushed against me but I didn't let her go.

"No Anastasia, you need to tell me what's wrong," I held her shoulders and looked into her emerald eyes.

She sighed and replied, "Just... in a really bad mood."

"Why?" I inquired.

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Just am."

I felt frustration. Ana knew what was wrong, but my inquiring wasn't going to make her talk. Instead, I decided to let someone else try, and put an arm around her shoulders.

"Come on, lets go home sweetie," I told her softly, leading the young red-head down the canal path.

Anastasia

When we got back to the compound, I guessed I would be in trouble, so I decided to not agitate my parents further by going to my room. So I stood in the lounge awkwardly, my dad and Clint talking to each other not far from me and mom just scrutinizing me from the door.

After what felt like hours but was in fact only minutes, dad came over and sat down. He patted the seat beside him so I sat down on the edge of the seat. Looking back over at the doorframe, I saw mom had gone but Clint lingered.

"Ana, I..." dad started, but sighed.

I gritted my teeth.

"I don't know how to say this..."

"Just say it," I mumbled moodily, my mood becoming extremely low again.

"You're grounded."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Like I give two fucks."

"Anastasia, language!"

I did care. I enjoyed going for walks and meeting friends.

"How long?" I asked.

"Until me and your mother deem it fit."

There was a moment of silence that fell on the room.

"You want me to tell you what's wrong?" I asked suddenly, raising my voice.

"Yes, please," dad replied calmly.

This calmness infuriated me. I'd rather get screamed at.

"Well nothing's wrong, so keep your nose out of my fucking business!" I snapped.

I saw dad's blue eyes flash with something, but he simply stood up.

"You're not leaving this room until you tell someone what's wrong," he told me firmly, before walking out.

I glared after him, and turned my glare to Clint who simply watched me. He sighed and left, closing the door behind me. I would go up to my room, but FRIDAY would snitch and I'd be in yet more trouble.

------

I sat in the lounge on my phone for half an hour before it died on me... my fault for not charging it before I left the compound.

"I know you don't want to talk, but how are you?"

I jumped and turned to see Clint beside me.

"Fine."

He nodded and looked straight ahead of him.

"Y'know, I was thinking about taking Lila to an archery range sometime," Clint told me.

I looked at him and saw he wasn't staring at me or anything.

"Isn't her birthday soon?" I asked.

"Yeah... maybe I should take her then."

"And maybe Cooper and Nate could go."

Clint laughed.

"I don't think Nate would be able to shoot an arrow at his age."

I smiled slightly.

"He could be the Cupid baby, shooting love arrows," I suggested lightly.

This made Clint grin and chuckle at the same time.

"Now that would be cute."

I didn't respond, debating whether to tell Clint what was the matter. I'd always found Clint to be the person I'd felt most at ease about talking to about some problems. Of course, mom and dad were always good at solving problems, but Clint was the most approachable; having kids of his own.

"Clint?" I asked.

"Yeah?" he turned his head to me.

I hesitated.

"It was my friend... she..."

Clint put his hand on my knee encouragingly.

"She turned on me and started being nasty to me."

Clint cocked his head.

"Why?"

I shrugged.

"I told her that her boyfriend was cheating on her and she just turned on me."

Clint diverted his eyes for a moment, before looking back up at me.

"What has she been doing?" he asked.

I didn't reply, but indicated to my phone. Yep, you guessed it, I was being bullied online by her. Clint took it and attempted, but I put in, "It's dead."

He nodded and opened his arms, inviting me for a hug. I took the invitation and hugged Clint, him rubbing my back comfortingly. When we pulled out, he asked, "Do you want me to show your mom?"

I nodded, saying, "I'll go charge it up enough."

Clint nodded and as I was leaving reminded, "We love you, you know that?"

"Of course," I replied with a small smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/n

I didn't know how to end that lmao.