Chapter 4: Cadet Orientation! The Rich History Of The Academy!

We now present the POV of Jax's orientation. After his conversation with Navar and Miri, Jax enters the Cadet Examination building, his footsteps echoing down the dimly lit hallways. "This is one of the first times I am without Navar and Miri. I hope I can make it without them," Jax thinks to himself.

As Jax enters the classroom, he is immediately met with the intense stare of an older woman. The older woman has porcelain skin, emerald eyes, and gray hair held up by two wooden knitting needles. "Young man, being tardy is something The Academy doesn't tolerate."

"Sorry."

"Take a seat," She adjusts her glasses and turns her attention toward the front.

As Jax looks around the classroom for a seat, he feels judgmental stares from the other draftees, who are pointing and snickering at his attire. "Look at his clothes. They're so cheap and dusty!" says a voice.

"How in the hell did a bum like him get in here," says another.

As Jax passes the unruly children, he feels his fingers curling into fists. "Jerks..."

"Come and sit here!" A small creature with large, round eyes, long, slender ears, and skin tinted pale yellow places his hand on the seat beside him. The creature has a pair of goggles perched atop his head and a white shirt covered by brown overalls. The race this creature is known as is a Mite: Gremlin Archetype. Jax sits beside the tiny creature. "Thank you."

"No problem. What's your name?"

"My name is Jax. How about yours?"

"My name is Rojo. Glad to meet you, Jax," Rojo holds his hand in a fist.

"Nice to meet you too," Jax bumps his fists with Rojo.

Rojo's face twists with revulsion as he looks at the children who made fun of Jax. "Those jerks.... They're nothing but rich kids who got in because of their parents."

Jax's brows shoot up, his lips forming a silent 'o' of surprise. "Really?"

"Yeah, some families within this empire have enough notoriety just to have the Army, Academy, or Republic accept their kids in for free, while people like you and me, who likely don't have that privilege, fight tooth and nail just to get in."

"How did you get in?"

Rojo proudly taps his goggles, his grin widening. "I'm an inventor and a vehicle mechanic. Before he passed, my dad and I owned a business selling our inventions for the labor world of Metchester, and sure enough, we made enough Royal for me to get in."

"Wow, that's awesome!"

"How about you, Jax? How did you get in?"

"I won the lottery."

Rojo's eyebrows arch in astonishment, his face reflecting his shock. "The lottery! How did you!"

The instructor slams her stick on her desk. "Pay attention and stop yelling! Were you brats even listening to what I was saying!?"

"Yes," they say.

"Ok then, what types of ships does The Academy use?"

"..."

She lets out a long, disappointed sigh, her breath fogging the air. "Since these two brats weren't paying attention. I'll start again!"

The class responds with a raucous symphony of moans and whimpers. "Be quiet! If one ship in a legion doesn't follow his officer correctly, the entire legion looks sloppy!"

"This lady sure is mean. What's her problem?" says Jax.

"Yeah, she might be quite the bitch, but she is also one of the finest pilots who has ever flown for Ozania. Her name is Okino Roichiku; she was an Admiral amongst the Grand Admiral Ryon. Even crazier, she's a descendant of the legendary fighter pilot Ace."