39: Half a plan

There's significant movement above us, chairs scraping across the floor, heavy footsteps across the hallways. I find the stairwell to the first floor, and beckon Pansy and Mattheo over. We don't say a word, just quietly ascend, suppressing our breathing and treading lightly. Missing the 4th step, i warn them of the creaky floorboards.

We can just about hear a conversation from the landing.

"Where is Lucius?" Narcissa says, a slight tone of concern.

"Fetching the Riddle Boy and your daughter." Another death eater replies, i can't tell who it is.

"Always a slow one." Bellatrix says, her voice fluctuates with insanity. "Lucius was never the brightest."

"Unnecessary, Bella." My mother responds, i hear her high heels clicking quietly across the living room. "How do you feel Draco."

"Fine." A solemn voice replies.

Pansy almost lunges forward in front of me, but i grab her arm before she can get any further.

"Cissy where are the children?" Bellatrix's voice echos through the whole floor. "Lucius left ages ago."

"He'll be here." Narcissa says softly.

"The Dark Lord knows what he wants this time." Bella replies. "I'm just suprised he hadn't killed both of them already."

"He said, he wanted to keep it waiting a little longer. Give Draco the mark, and return later today to complete the next step."

"The next step being, kill both the traitors." Bella says firmly. "We've already killed one. Well, Draco has." Her voice trails off into a cackle and Pansy shifts uncomfortably. "Today he kills his son and his girlfriend. Tomorrow we find the other two, wherever they've run away too, and we slaughter them too."

"Fuck." Mattheo whispers. "Pansy where the fuck is Enzo?"

"Oh shit." She curses under her breath. "He's loose in the fucking manor. I actually have no idea where he is."

"Did you not have a plan?" Mattheo whispers aggressively.

"We heard that Lucius was taking you out and we took the opportunity okay? We didn't think it through that much."

"I can fucking see that." Mattheo snarls, rubbing his forehead and sighing.

"Do you feel empowered Draco?" A chair creaks as Bellatrix rises in a flash. "The Dark Lord now runs within you. You can take on the responsibility that your, sister, couldn't handle."

"I'm glad, to finally be apart of my Lord's forces. I was.. devastated. When my sister volunteered to take my place last time. Now i can prove i my loyalty to the Dark Lord." Draco's voice is monotone and emotionless. It makes me wonder how long he's been keeping up this facade with us.

Bellatrix giggles like a child. "How lovely." Then she pauses. 

The air seems to shift, everyone falls silent, waiting for something to happen. 

"He's coming." Bella whispers. 

Before anyone can react, the loud crack of apparition fills the manor. No one says anything, but we all know who it is. Mattheo tenses up behind me. 

"My, loyal followers." Voldemorts slimy voice echoes through the hallways. "Where is Lucius?" 

"On his way." Narcissa says quietly. 

"Is he really?" Bellatrix jokes. "He's been gone for ages. Maybe your husband is just as incompetent as we all thought he was."

"Enough." Voldemort snaps, and i hear Bella whimper and step back. "If you are so concerned about the whereabouts of your brother in law, go and find him Bella."