Chapter 59 | "I Do"

Play the song above while you read

The golden hues of the setting sun cast a warm glow across the grassy field overlooking Boat Lake.

It's everything I could have imagined. The only way to explain this is perfection.

If there was one place that could encapsulate my imagination of heaven, this would be it.

The serene backdrop is where Blake stands waiting. His traditional tuxedo fits him like a glove and his smile I can see from a mile away. If I had known this would be the end of our story, I would have probably laughed in disbelief.

This is a dream come true.

As I approach him in my simple yet elegant white gown, my stomach folds into knots.

Today is not just a celebration of love; but a serious acknowledgment of the limited time I have left.

This is why every moment counts. This is why we are doing this, not tomorrow, not a week from now,

But today. This is why we are doing this today.

Blake's piercing gaze meets mine, and I notice a mixture of lust and sorrow in his eyes. It's a reflection of our entire love story, electric and bittersweet. We have felt extreme love and sadness in our relationship. This has only caused us to grow closer.

I can't imagine going through the thingswe have been through together with anyone else.

Blake is my person.

We transformed from enemies to lovers in a world riddled with danger and unpredictability. His mafia has caused both of us unremarkable amounts of physical and emotional pain, and my leukemia has done the exact same. We have both contributed to the fiery ways our relationship has burned together.

My family and closest friends are gathered around, their faces reflecting a similar blend of joy and sadness. I recognize classmates; and track teammates, as well as childhood friends and teachers.

Dr. Khan even stands in the crowd, and I'm sure this is the first time I have ever seen the man smile.

My mother is beside the altar, a beautiful wooden arch decorated with field flowers, and she's holding back tears, smiling through the mist forming in her eyes.

My father, a pillar of strength, gives me a reassuring nod before handing me off to where I am to be wedded. Everyone is standing, smiling, and giving me happy looks as though they approve of this decision.

Grant, my protective older brother, tries to mask his emotions but fails as a lone tear escapes his left eye. He squeezes my hand reassuringly, his eyes betraying the emotions he struggles to articulate. I know what he's attempting to say, and I appreciate every word of it.

As I take Blake's hand, I feel the warmth of his touch, grounding me in the present. All I can see is the sheer love in his eyes. The sunlight glimmers onto his clear skin, and I wonder if he's even real.