Chapter 7 | City

Play the song above while you read

I don't know where I'm going, but in all honesty, I don't care. I need to get away from all of this.

My legs start to pick up speed, and I remember what it feels like to run like there's no tomorrow.

Like you're worry-free.

It feels amazing.

Liberating.

My feet move effortlessly, like I've been awaiting this moment for a long time.

I have.

The last time I stepped foot on a track was the week before I got sick. I was training for a marathon, and haven't run since. Surprisingly, I can keep a good pace without having practiced for two months.

I let loose, and let my body take the wheel.

Disconnecting my mind from my physical presence is a refreshing way of saying "I don't care."

I run out of my backyard and into the road, ignoring my parents and Grant yelling my name. I don't have the heart to tell them that I lack the energy to fight this cancer. For now, running away from my problems is the only way to avoid them.

I'm both physically and emotionally drained.

They don't understand what it feels like.

They will never understand what I feel when I get nasty looks from all my friends. They'll always see it from their point of view, and question why I can't just change my mind.

As I run, I pass my school.

I pass the coffee shop where Elise and I used to go almost every day after track.

I pass the gym where I used to run.

I pass the dance studio I used to teach young girls at.

I pass Angels Peak.

I think about the argument Grant and I had on the mountain earlier, and how he lost his temper when I asked him about Blake. I've noticed that Grant has been very short-fused lately. He snapped at my mom when she was helping me down the stairs and I almost slipped. I told him that it was no big deal, but he insisted on lecturing her for ten minutes straight about how bad it would've been if I had fallen down the stairs.

He also fussed at dad when he was only trying to make me something to eat. Grant claimed that mac and cheese has no nutritional value, and proceeded to kick my dad out of the kitchen and make my food himself, yelling up a storm the entire time. I try and push these intrusive thoughts out.

Slowly, time turns into something useless, and I don't pay attention to anything except the feeling of wind blowing through my hair, and my legs taking one stride at a time.

I let my tears slide off of my face and run onto my neck. They feel warm against my cold skin. I hear dogs barking from someone's backyard, and start to pick up my pace. My legs become numb, but I keep running.

I lose all sense of direction and go where my heart takes me. Honestly, I feel as if I could run forever, but I almost trip and fall.

I realize that I have run into the middle of town. I recognize all the stores and restaurants as I slow down making a stop in front of an old-fashioned diner, called Monty's.

I sit down on the side-walk, unable to catch my breath. The hustle of my quiet city shocks me. It looks alive more at night than it does in the day. I hear music and see lights coming from the inside of a bar. I also notice that on the other side of the street, a man is dancing. He does a flip as the crowd in front of him cheers.

I recognize JJ and chuckle under my breath. He is definitely the type of person who dances in the middle of the street at this ungodly hour.

I decide to get up and explore. As I walk the streets, the lights start to get brighter, and the noises get louder. More people are out and about, having fun as I get closer to the heart of my city.

I see a couple holding hands and walking with one child in each of their other arms. They look exhausted but blissful. They remind me of my family.

Ten years ago, we were happy.

We were normal. My parents were similar to those parents; content with their children and happy with their lives. Now their daughter is dying of cancer, and they are powerless against it.

I start to run again. Away from the happy family, away from my past, and away from my parent's disappointment.

That euphoria is gone now.

All that's left is me and my cancer.

As I run, the buildings grow larger, turning into skyscrapers. They tower over me like everyone in my life trying to control my every move;

My mom thinks I should drop out of school, and let her take care of me at home. My dad wants the most aggressive treatment as soon as possible. He thinks that if we get a head start fighting this cancer, we can beat it. Grant, well, he's in denial. He's hoping that there is a way to completely reverse the cancer. He wants to make everything normal again.

But not once have they asked me what I want.

I deeply long to tell them that all I need is to leave my body and fly away. Away from all of the hands reaching for me. Away from all of the people who are suffocating me. I want to be left alone in my misery.

Why can't anyone understand that? Why is it so difficult to comprehend that I am done, I'm done with fighting?

I fall backward, accidentally bumping into someone tall and muscular.

I stumble and land on my back.

As I look up to apologize to the person, they reach out their hand to help me up.

"Are you alright?"

I immediately recognize the voice,

It's Blake.

Let me know how y'all like the story so far!

I've been suffering from a little bit of writers block recently so sorry for the delay on this chapter. Love y'all and thanks for reading! 💕