Chapter 52 | Weak - (Blake's POV)

Friday, February 27

Friday, February 27

Two weeks later

"Your papers are due on Monday! Remember to bring in a printed copy for extra credit," The high-pitched voice of my English teacher breaks the silence of the eerily still classroom.

I patiently await the sweet sound of the bell, signifying that school is done for the week. Once the noise penetrates the hallways, I sling the light backpack I carry across my right shoulder and hastily exit the classroom, trying to get to the car before traffic stops me from leaving.

I'm especially eager for today because I have a reservation for two at one of Brynne's favorite restaurants. I figured she'd probably want to get out of the hospital and breathe fresh air for the first time in weeks. Although, I'm not quite sure that she'll be up for it because last night, she had a chemotherapy infusion, and those take it out of her.

Either way, I'm just excited to see my beautiful Brynne. These past two weeks have been hard for her. I can visibly see her getting weaker each day, and it pains me to see her suffer. Her muscles are not as fast as they once were, and she's grown extremely tired, sometimes even after eight hours of sleep.

I also didn't think she could lose any more weight, but I can tell that she's growing frail.

Despite all of this, she still manages to keep a smile on her face, always cheering us up. There have been times when I couldn't tell if she was happy or just trying to make it look like she wasn't on the verge of passing out.

Although I want to spend every waking moment by her side; she's been making me go to school and get my diploma. At first, I told her there was no way I could spend all that time here at school, but after seeing how serious she was about it, I decided to listen.

"Blake!" A familiar voice comes from behind me as I exit the double doors, "Wait up!"

I turn my head to see Grant and his protein shake in hand, running towards me in a slight jog. The keys to his Toyota Four Runner are dangling from his pockets by a University of Miami lanyard.

It was just last week that he was accepted. The funny thing is that he didn't even apply; Brynne decided to send his application on her own and surprised him with the acceptance letter.

I chuckle and shake my head at the thought of her being sneaky like that. She's not letting this cancer get the best of her, and I can see it every day.

"What's so funny?" Grant asks once he's all caught up with me in the parking lot.

"Nothing," I smile, "Are we riding together again?"

"Yeah, man," He nods and takes the keys from his pocket, causing the white car in front of us to beep.

"Do you think Brynne will be up for dinner tonight?" I question after throwing my bag in the back and sitting in the passenger seat, "I have a reservation for The Boathouse."