Chapter 56 | Fate - (Grant's POV)

"Grant?!" Brynne's eight-year-old voice startles me

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"Grant?!" Brynne's eight-year-old voice startles me.

"Leave me alone," I shout from my room as I mess with the joystick on my controller. My Xbox isn't on, but I wanted to make it seem like I'm busy.

"Mommy said you have to come out now," Her childish squeaking annoys me.

"Tell her I said no. I wanted to hang out with my friends today."

There is silence coming from outside my door. Then, I hear shuffling and a large thump.

"I'm staying here until you come out," Brynne insists.

I groan and lean against my bed.

"There's nothing fun to do here," I complain, "We were going to ride bikes on that abandoned trail."

"Just come out, Grant," She giggles.

"What's so funny, Brynne?"

Her laughter erupts.

Then, I hear more snickering from outside the door and recognize Blake's laughter.

I shoot up from my bed and open the closed door; only to find Brynne standing amongst the five boys in my friend group.

I stare at her in shock.

"Your friends seem to like me," She jokes.

Her cheeks shine pink, and her green eyes glisten in the daylight.

"How did you convince Mom to let me go?"

"Let's just say you owe me one," She crosses her hands on her chest.

I quickly thank her, and run towards the side door to grab my bike.

Just before I open the garage, I see Brynne's name underneath all of the chores for this week.

A golden feeling sparks in my chest, and I remind myself to hug her when I get home.

———————————————————————

Friday, March 20

There are many things in this world that bring me joy;

Watching a sunrise after I've completed a morning workout, spending time with my friends on a long weekend, eating breakfast for dinner and not worrying about counting calories, and having the longest movie marathons with my dad.

It's the little things in life that I appreciate.

The way that a lake is still at the crack of dawn. How a fox's coat can be the most bright shade of orange, causing it to stand out amongst the dark hues of the forest. A person's smile when you compliment them on something they have achieved.