Chapter 2: Just Being Neighborly

Začít od začátku

I sighed and nodded, accepting my fate. "Fine," I said.

   We ate our breakfast in silence... at least I was. Valery was on the phone with her best friend, Tamika. I was brainstorming my plan for the day, one that was free of any breaks once I got started, so I was using this time to relax before the chores began calling my name.

   Cleaning up the house was more time-consuming than it was annoying. Even when Abigail, my older sister, was here, I still did most of the cleaning. Once I had my headset on, I was lost in an audiobook. Today would've been blissful if the book I'd selected didn't have the most irritating protagonist. By the time I was cleaning the bathroom upstairs, I'd switched over to a history podcast.

   By 3 P.M, the pillows were dusted, the curtains changed, the bathroom cleaned and every surface was wiped clean. The dirty curtains were drying on the clothesline in the backyard. A satisfied smile tugged at my lips as I squinted in the afternoon sun, these would be dry in no time.

   I headed to the kitchen and proceeded to get my first drink of water in hours. My body relaxed as the cool water hydrated my mouth. By now, my muscles yearned for a break, but I wasn't done yet. Not to lose my momentum, I decided to get cleaned up and head to the store.

   One quick shower later, I'd changed into short, white overalls and a peach shirt. As I left the house, Valery was walking back home from soccer practice, laughing with her friends. That brought a smile to my face. Valery and I couldn't be more different. She was a social butterfly, just like Abigail. For that reason, I tended to feel left out. Though it wasn't their fault, it felt like it at the time. Back then I wish I knew it was okay to be as introverted as I was. Such a small lesson that needed to be learned the hard way.

   I arrived at the market soon thereafter. There wasn't much of a crowd at our small convenience store. Already, the dread that I felt had begun to lessen, but the challenge was not over yet.

   About fifteen minutes later, my cart was full of every idiom from Mom's list. Maneuvering the cart through the aisles as if navigating a vehicle on a busy highway, my sneakers squeaked against the floor as I walked with controlled eagerness to the self-checkout. The pending verdict as the groceries got scanned always made my blood run cold. Valery knew nothing of the days when we had to put products back on their shelves because we couldn't afford them all. So, true to my nature, I yet again counted the bills in my wallet, assuring myself that those days were far behind us.

This time, I managed not to look over my shoulder as I scanned the idiom and soon, I was loading up bags into the trunk, then I was on the road again.

I pulled into our driveway just as Mrs. Robenson exited her car.

"Hello, Mrs. Robenson," I called out to her as I made my way to the house.

"Good evening, Delilah. How are you?", she asked with a sincere smile.

"All good. Just came back from the store," I said, pointing at the paper bags in my arms.

She nodded, "I can see that. Why don't you go and put these down? I need to talk to you."

"Me?" I thought, my expression blank as I wasn't sure if it was safe to ask what this was about.

"S-Sure," I stuttered and went in to put the groceries down to find Valery already hard at work in the kitchen.

She had her back to me and was dancing to the music that played in her ears so I didn't bother her but instead went straight back out.

Mrs. Robenson was still waiting on me, her body shielded by the hedge. I walked over to her, swallowing hard as her smile grew, exposing the deep dimples her son inherited from her.

"So, I spoke to your homeroom teacher yesterday and I know you and Theo have your first-period class together," she began and paused waiting for me to correct her in case she was wrong.

I nodded and she smiled, leaning over the bush as if ready to whisper a secret but her tone remained the same, "So, something came up and I won't be able to drop him off in the morning. I was thinking, maybe you could take him with you."

My heart nearly dropped as soon as the words left her mouth.

"Oh," I said lowly, trying to hide the panic taking over me.

"You two get along. Plus, it's his first day back since the accident. I think it would be nice for him to have someone close by his side. So much has changed for him, you know," Mrs. Robenson said, her voice drifting off as memories of last summer came rushing to the surface.

   I blinked a few times, but couldn't seem to get the image of Theo, upside down in his car, his white shirt stained red as he struggled with every breath. it was as though I was there once again, overwhelmed by the smell of smoke and gasoline permeating the night air, making me dread the next seconds with every breath.

"I know this hasn't been easy for you," Mrs. Robenson's voice pulled me back to reality.

   Now I had to face her concerned gaze and sympathetic smile. I shiver ran through me when I felt something brush against my hand. When I looked down, I saw her holding mine. How hadn't I noticed her take hold of it?

"Pardon me," I shook my head and said, recognizing the way her blue eyes analyzed me.

"I said, I know this hasn't been easy for you. You may have not been in the car with him, but I hope you have someone to confide in about that night."

I sucked in my bottom lip.

   I didn't deserve her sympathy. If she knew what truly happened, she wouldn't look at me with praise but disappointment. I didn't ask to be called a hero, but when I was, I didn't correct anyone either.

"Yeah, I'll take him," I managed past the lump in my throat.

She smiled at me and squeezed my hand.

"Thank you, Delilah. For everything," she said with so much gratitude I had to look away.

I let my guilt rush me back into the house where I fled into my bedroom to let out the tears I'd managed to ignore since that schedule was handed to me.

   Theo had to hide away from the world, stealing glimpses at life while the rest of us went on. He went from the kid with a promising future, to a lesson for all. You only live once, that's what I thought by then, and in trying to live by that motto, I nearly ended his. Secrets that weren't mine to keep became so the moment I decided to partake in the lies I told. It was too late now to turn back, but maybe someday I would be redeemed. 

~Thank you for reading this chapter.~

~Remember to vote if you liked it.~

~I hope you're well.~

~Love you and stay safe.~