The Truth

AN:// this might be a little bit repetitive, but Ethan sucks and I hate him with every fiber of my being.
————————————————————————

I was rummaging around in my kitchen trying to keep my mind off the upcoming holidays. A knock on my door jarred me out of my mind as I made my way over.

"Hey. Come on in 'Thena. I wasn't expecting you." I smiled opening the door for her.

She held up a folder. "The background check came back and I did some more digging. Come on let's have a seat."

I frowned as I followed her to my dining table. "What did you find?"

She pulled out the first paper in the folder and handed it to me. "Nothing good."

"Ethan Walters. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota." I started to read before stopping looking at Athena. "Athena what is... what does this mean?"

"Ethan lived in St. Paul the same time your family did. Just down the street from your house at the time." She told me sliding out another paper towards me. "I looked into his phone records. There's a number in here registered to an Antonio Rivers, that Ethan called very often."

I swallowed harshly staring at the paper on the table. "That's my... that's my father's number. So Ethan and my father have been what plotting together?"

"I think Ethan's been working for your father to find you and Mateo. I also looked into Ethan's financials, because at this point it's considered stalking and conspiracy." She slid out a third paper and handed it to me. "Ethan has made some pretty impressive cash deposits."

"Cash that my father definitely had." I laughed in disbelief standing up and running a hand through my hair. "So this entire time... Ethan was reporting back to him. My movements, my routine, my friends... everything."

I paced as I rambled, I could feel Athena's eyes following me as I moved. "Alex. Alex, you need to breathe."

"How am I supposed to do that, when I've yet again put Mateo is danger. I thought we were safe here, I thought we would be fine." I took a deep breath to settle my anxiety turning back to Athena. I continued in a shaky voice. "What else 'Thena?"

She grabbed my hands and pulled me to sit in my seat. "Ethan's been following you for a long time. Minnesota to Maine to Vermont, to now. I didn't find any correspondence between Ethan and Charlie, but it's a good assumption that Ethan told your father all about it."

"I need to call Mateo and let him know what's going on. Thank you Athena, for everything." I told her making her pull me into a tight hug.

"Do you want me to stay?" She asked looking worried.

"No, I'll be okay. Besides it'll be easier to tell Mateo if it's just me." I reassured her.

"This... Alex look at me. This is not your fault, remember that. Promise me you'll try not to blame yourself." She told me as I looked at her, meeting her eye. "And don't be surprised if you see a cruiser sitting in front of your building, and don't even think about arguing with me about it either."

"Thank you, I promise to try." I smiled slightly at her. "I think I'm gonna pick up a few shifts at the hospital tomorrow and Thursday. Keep me busy."

"Not Friday?" She asked looking at me.

"No it's movie night at the Diaz house. Christopher wanted movie nights with Buck and I at least once a week. At this week it's Friday, so I'll be set until sometimes Saturday. And then uh, shift starts back up Sunday." I shrugged as we both stood up.

"You call me for anything, and I mean anything. I don't care what time, you understand Alex? You call me." Athena stopped and placed her hands on my shoulders making sure I was listening to her.