Let Go

I stood next to Buck as Bobby told us what was going on. "Alex, Buck. We came in at the wrong angle. I'm gonna have you two climb up there, harness him in, and hang tight until we move the truck. You think you can handle that, Buck?"

"Hell yeah. This daredevil hero stuff is what I signed up for, Bobby." Buck told him and I gave Bobby a nod.

"Good." Bobby said before we started climbing to the top of the ladder.

I headed up first moving fast, knowing we were most likely running out of time. Reaching the end of the ladder they began extending it as Buck spoke. "Everybody, try to stay calm. We'll get you down, I promise, alright?"

I made sure to check that his harness was on right and stable, before I checked my own.

"I need you to relax, I need you to breathe, and I need you to keep as still as possible. You move less, you stay safe." I told them as we reached the track. "We get everyone off the ride safe."

"Go talk to him. I'll grab the harnesses." I told Buck as I quickly grabbed them so they could move the truck into position.

"Hey, what's your name, man?" Buck called out to him.

"Devon." He panted.

"Devon. Alright, Devon. Well, hang on, brother." Buck told him as he began climbing.

I wasn't far behind and was able to catch up to him quickly. Buck glanced at me before Devon asked. "Where's Chad? What happened to Chad?"

"Bobby, He's asking about his friend." I said over the radio.

"Chimney, It's captain, you copy?" I heard Bobby over the radio.

"Copy, Captain. What do you need?"

"How's the kid on the ground?"

"We lost him."

"Allright, I don't need the people up there seeing that. So, do me a favor... He survived right? Put him on a gurney. You know the drill."

"Copy that."

"Hang in there guys. We're coming." Bucky told them. "We're almost there."

"What happened to Chad?" Devon yelled again. "He's dead isn't he?"

"Hey, Devon look at me. Chad.. he's getting help. You see? He's gonna be fine. And I'm not gonna let anything happen to you, alright?" Buck asked as he was right by the car Devon was dangling from. "Is everyone okay?"

"No we're not okay!" One of the girls replied as I crawled up behind Buck. "Why is the fire truck going away?"

"It's just getting into a better position, that's all." I told them, handing Buck the harness. "Devon, how are we doing?"

"It's gonna be everywhere." He rambled as Buck started moving down closer to him. "It's gonna be all over the place."

"Hey forget about them, okay? You don't look down. You look up at me and Alex. You see this strap here?" He held it out for him to see as he kneeled against the car. "All you gotta do is reach up your arm and slid it through the loop."

"I can't!" Devon yelled his voice straining. "I can't."

"Yes, you can, buddy. You can do it." Buck reassured him as I crawled around him to get closer, Devon almost within reaching distant.

"Can you tell them to stop recording, please? I don't want everyone to see me like this. Please." Devon whimpered.

"Devon. Look at me." I spoke making him look up. "Listen, we need you to concentrate. Look at Buck now and slide your arm through the loop and then we can deal with everything else."