The Meeting

My father led me to the family carriage and I saw that most of my things had already been packed and put into it. It seems that it was time to head home until after the winter ball where I would then return to the academy and prepare for the final exams. I sat in the carriage and listened quietly to the lecture my parents were giving me. I couldn't be bothered to actually pay attention to word they said so I just looked out the window for awhile.

My mother ordered me to bathe and change into something decent since Timothy and his family would be arriving in an hour's time. I bathe quickly as my maids packed away my things into the places they had been when I came back home for the summer. I changed into a dark grey silk dress with long sleeves and lace around the neck and cuffs. I was able to wear makeup for the first time in days since I left on the mission. I applied it as I usually would and before long Sandra was knocking on my bedroom door to notify me that it was time for me to head to the drawing room. I sighed as I got up from my vanity but I knew that sooner or later I would have to go through with this. It was one thing to say that I was ending the engagement but it was another thing entirely to actually do it.

My parents sat on one sofa and Timothy's parents sat on a sofa opposite them. Timothy and I sat in armchairs that faced each other and was at the end of the sofas. "Why are you ending the engagement?"
Earl Thomas asked me sternly. I looked down at my hands that were folded neatly on my lap and did my best to sound distraught, they wouldn't believe me otherwise. "I'm ending the engagement because I feel that we are not a good match at all!" I said while trying to bring tears to my eyes "I feel that lately that Timothy's attention had been elsewhere!". Earl Thomas scoffed "Of course his attention will be on something other than you, he isn't tied down by marriage yet so why should he be primarily focused on you when he still has time to change his mind!". "He shouldn't be looking at any other woman Bainne he should be focus on his soon to be wife!" My father growled threateningly at Earl Thomas. Earl Thomas raised both his hands in a gesture that was meant to say "my mistake".

After hearing my reasons for wanting to end the engagement they listened to Timothy's reasoning for wanting to continue the engagement. "Because I love her!" He stated simply, I heard my mother and his mother quietly saying "aww!" In a tone which indicated that they thought Timothy's reason was adorable. This started Earl Thomas questioning me if I didn't love Timothy. "Of course I love him" I informed them all firmly "however just because we both love each other doesn't mean we are right for each other!". My comment lead to three hours of arguing and the argument ended with Timothy's and I's engagement ending and Earl Thomas left my family home with a red cheek from where my father had slapped him across his face when Earl Thomas had put his masculinity into question. I felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest. I managed to avoid what happened to the original Raven but just because I avoided that didn't mean I was safe. There was still the subject of Harvey and Tara that needed to be solved before I could truly feel safe.

My mother had ordered a seamstress to come to the family home to have my dress made for the winter ball. I took the opportunity when my mother left to tell the seamstress the gown had to be black and dark grey and to not listen to a word my mother would say about how the dress had to be a nice pink. Even after all these years my mother still thinks I'm going through a phase. I also told the seamstress to make sure it was a figure hugging gown and if she could add a few bats to the wrists of the long sleeve gown as well. The seamstress drew me a sketch of what my gown would look like, and I loved it. The gown would be fitted to cling to my waist and there would be a deep v-neck and the sleeves would be adorned with little bays and lines of silver going up it. The bottom of the gown would flow out a bit from the torso but not too much so it could still have the ballgown look but be very form fitting as well.

My dress was made a few days later and my mother wasn't happy at all with what she saw when the seamstress presented it too us. I was absolutely delighted with it, the seamstress had also added little gems that covered the chest area of the gown which against the black dress made them look like little stars. I instantly thought to a pair of silver star earrings I had in my jewellery box which would go so well with the dress. However I had to calm my mother down before she could try to take the seamstress' head off for doing what I wanted and not what she wanted.

Luckily my mother couldn't really pull the excuse that my dress wouldn't match her or my father's outfit. My father had surprisingly also chosen to have a suit made in a similar style to mine however his didn't include bats but he had a wolf embroidered onto each coff of his suit. My mother went for a white gown with blue gems since it was a winter ball. "Honestly I don't know how I put up with you two!" My mother sighed exasperatedly, although my father and I don't see eye to eye on many topics when we did find something to agree on we became inseparable and insufferable. The person who would normally had to deal with our antics would be my poor mother. "It's not our fault darling we just look absolutely exquisite in black!" My father told my mother while kissing her on the cheek. "By the way darling you look ravishing in white!" My father winked seductively at my mother. I rolled my eyes, honestly if the ball wasn't in my honor we wouldn't be leaving this early since knowing my parents they would be too busy flirting with each other to actually get ready to leave on time.

Once we were all in the carriage my father spoke to me. "Just so you know my little Raven, your mother and I are very proud of you!". "Thank you that means a lot" I said in reply, I knew that my father had more to say than that. "Just so you're aware we will be trying to find you a new husband tonight so if we call you over we expect you to be on your best behaviour!" He told me sternly. I knew it, my father couldn't just say he was proud of me without there being something else he was after. I also knew that my parents wouldn't want to waste anytime in finding my a new husband since if a daughter was still into her twenties then according to this world's standards she was not desirable and therefore would be a spinster by twenty five. Little did my parents know that I would also be on the hunt for potential suitors and I already had one in mind.