Preparing for the Winter Games

Winter has arrived and soon would be the academy's Winter Games. The Winter Games are challenges made by the headmaster and you have to use magic and your intelligence and wisdom to be able to make it through the Games unharmed. From what I remembered from the novel it isn't the heroine who wins, however I couldn't remember who wins it which would have been very useful for me to remember right now but it has been years since I've actually read the novel. I couldn't remember if Lady Raven played a huge role in the games but that doesn't really matter since I think that she doesn't interact much with Ashley during the Games. I was in magic class when the headmaster strolled in with a big leather bound book in his arms. "Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen as you all know the annual Winter Games are to commence within two weeks time" He explained to us while untying the ribbon that was wrapped around the book. Ashley was sitting in the seat that Harvey usually sat in and because Harvey was receiving death glares from Prince Edward and Timothy he had decided to sit in between Tara and I. Sophia  being the team player that she is was giving Ashley a dirty look every once in a while to show what she thought of her. I had made sure to inform Sophia of last night's events and she is on board with it. Timothy hasn't seemed to have heard about my late night outing as he hasn't confronted me about it yet which I guess is good for me.

"You all will be divided into teams of four!" The headmaster announced to us as he looked down at the list of names in his book. Each time was named after an animal and the team would have to face challenges that corresponded with that animal. "On the Wolf Team will be Lady Raven Darksheild, Lord Harvey Shineblade, Lady Sophia Clarnish and Lady Tara Rondish!". I had to stop myself from snorting, of course all of the novel's antagonists and their friend would be put on the same team. "On the Turtledove Team will be his royal highest, the second Prince of Highmooreshire, Prince Edward Stormbrood!" The headmaster announced and bowed to Prince Edward ad he was suppose to as was in line with the etiquette of this world. "Lord Timothy Bainne will also be on the Turtledove Team along with Ashley Howl and Lady Helena Stems!". I glanced at my friend's and saw that Harvey looked crestfallen at not being in the same team as the love of his life. If looks could kill then Tara would have murdered Ashley the second it was announced that Ashley and Prince Edward would be on the same team. "I will kill that no good peasant" Tara growled softly while gripping her pen so hard I thought it would burst from the pressure. I leaned discreetly over the table and took the pen from her before she could burst it. "Now now Tara" I whispered consoling while the headmaster read out the other names on the list. "You can't kill her as that could get you in trouble". Tara clenched her jaw and sighed aggravatitvly through her nostrils. "However" I added slyly "that doesn't mean that you can't damage her face during the Games!". Tara smiled wickedly at my words she approved. It appeared that the Tara I had known all these years wasn't as sweet or not as bloodthirsty as I previously thought, turns out I hadn't seen her when she felt threatened by another woman so close to her fiancé. Even Harvey approved "That Raven is a brilliant idea" He whispered softly into my ear as I was still halfly leaning over him as I had to lean across him to get to Tara. My ear was directly infront of his mouth so he didn't have to speak very loudly for me to hear him.

The only person who had a problem with my suggestion on the wolf team was Sophia. Turns out she isn't a fan of injuring people who have gotten on our bad sides. "Miss Howl has done nothing to you all why by the divine do you want to hurt her?" She questioned us. "She's trying to steal our fiancées away from us!" Tara growled furiously.  "Not Harvey's!" Sophia reasoned, "She may not be after Helena but she is trying to turn her against me!" Harvey told us. "How?" I asked Harvey as this was the first I was hearing of this. Harvey sighed before readjusting himself in the seat before answering me. "She's been telling Helena I've been threatening her and what not!" He informed us. "Have you been threatening her?" Sophia inquired as we all knew that Harvey held grudges and was quick to become anger. "I haven't I swear!" He swore to us. Sophia still wasn't okay with the plan so I had to come up with a way to reassure her. "Look we won't mortally wound her" I reassured Sophia "We just want to send a message to her!". Sophia looked at me skepticly, "What sort of message?" She asked. "One that says to stay away from our fiancées!" Tara interjected and I could tell from her tone that she would have added in a few swear words if she could but that wasn't allowed in the academy. They had put a ward up that could detect if someone cursed/swore since the headmaster didn't want people saying anything blasphemous or anything not civil and polite. Sophia still wasn't fully on board with the idea but she would stop us if we did.

I was pouring over some spell books in my room when I realised, I just organised a plan to harm the heroine which is something a villainess would do. My heart started to race, what if my fate was unavoidable? What if I put all this effort in for nothing? I shook my head to get rid of the unsettling thoughts, I mustn't think that. I was going to survive, I had to.
It seems like some things I couldn't change, Lord Harvey and Lady Tara wanted to bring about Ashley's downfall in some way because she got on the wrong side of them. I didn't care that she was stealing Timothy from me, even though it made my heart ache at the thought of it, I knew from the start of this that he wasn't mine to keep but still my traitorous heart had to have fallen in love with him. I still blame the original Lady Raven's feelings for that happening.
I just had to wonder what I should do about the Timothy situation, I wonder if his relationship with Ashley is developing enough that he'll want to leave me but won't out of duty to his father who worked hard in convincing my father to let Timothy marry me. I closed the book I had on my lap and got off my bed and went towards the window and stared out at the academy grounds. I couldn't help but think about the signs I needed to watch out for to determine when Timothy would break off the engagement with me. He would be rather short in talking with me and he wouldn't come visit me as often as he once had. He would also spend a lot of time with her and would hate spending any amount of time with me.

As I stared off into space, overthinking the challenges that were to come that had nothing to do with the upcoming winter games, the door to my room open and Timothy walked in. "Hello Darling!" He said in greeting while closing the door behind him and locking it.