chapter eight

chapter eight

longer chap to make up for the atrocity that was chapter seven, love u my sillies 🥰

!

A hand tightens around your waist, incoherent murmurs being whispered into your ear.

Tangled between Velvet and Veneer is an... experience, that's for sure. Who knew the biggest stars in Mount Rageous had such bad sleeping habits? Between Veneer's constant babbling and Velvet's impenetrable grasp, you weren't sure who was worse. Because of this, you'd gotten barely a wink of sleep. You'd rub the guck out of your eyes... but it's an unfeasible task. Veneer's lanky legs overlap your own, and Velvet's surprisingly sturdy arms latch onto you as if you're a stuffed animal.

"Mm..." Veneer stirs, burrowing his head into your neck. If he were a cat, you were sure he'd be purring.

Peering over to him, you admire his appearance. Tousled hair, plump lips... rosy cheeks. Though you work with their looks essentially every day, you don't think you've ever taken a moment to truly take in their presence. Despite their unnatural behaviour, that you should frankly feel deterred by, you gently lean your head against Veneer's. His soft locks tickle your cheek. You can't help but feel a sense of reliance when it comes to them. They'd taken care of you when no one else had; defended you when no one else had. Like they'd said; they cared. The good can outweigh the bad, can't it? Well, maybe not always. Maybe you're just delusional. But just once. Just for a while longer... just until you leave.

To your dismay, it was time to get up. Class started in a little over an hour, and you can't afford to skip out on anything this late into the year. Slowly sitting up, you yelp in surprise as you're tugged back down. Veneer's hand had seized your shirt, his dozy, lidded eyes staring at you.

"Stay."

Whispering to him, as Velvet was still out stone cold, "Veneer, I have class..."

Letting out a whine, he shakes his head and throws an arm over your collarbone, "But you're so warm."

"I've got assignments to finish, and exams are soon..." You squirm beneath his hold, "Veneer, c'mon."

Shaking his head once more, he clutches onto you tighter, "Please?"

Sighing, you relax for a moment. Your head turns to face him, eyes soft, "Sorry..."

Veneer exhales forlornly, arms retracting. Tucking his head back into your neck, he mutters, "Fine."

Laughing quietly, you sit up once more, now without the restraint or rebuttal. Cautiously climbing over Velvet, you almost slip when your socks meet the floorboards. You curse to yourself quietly, dismissing Veneer's hushed snickers. Promptly, you gather an outfit and situate yourself within the bathroom. With your teeth brushed, hair tamed and face washed, you step back into the bedroom. Somehow, Velvet was still face-first into your pillows, snoozing. Veneer, on the other hand, had sat himself at the end of your bed. Rubbing his eyes, he looks up at you upon hearing your entrance. A smile tugs at his lips.

"You're going now, toots?"

"Mhm," You nod, collecting all of your textbooks and whatnot, throwing it all into a bag, "I'll miss the next bus if I don't go now. Oh, um... will you both be alright here alone? You can leave now, if you'd like, but Velvet's still sleeping..."