chapter two

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

!

     "Tilt back your head."

Veneer scoffs.

"...Please?"

He begrudgingly tips his head back, blue eyes glaring down at you in annoyance. Disregarding his rude stare, your fingers trace along his upper lip, applying a thin layer of tinted lip oil. Surrounding you was a bustling crew preparing cameras, softbox lights and backdrops. Today would be a long day for both you and Veneer; he'd been invited to Vague for a photoshoot promoting their newest upcoming single.

Shuffling in his dressing robe, Veneer groans. He relaxes further into his director's chair, watching you grab a large brush. Standing a bit straighter so that you now hovered over him, you swipe it across his porcelain skin, blushing his cheeks pink.

"Hey, the set's ready when you are!" One of the crew members calls over to you.

"Okay! Five minutes." You respond, looking back at them before to Veneer, "Could you take the robe off? I should probably check that your outfit's fine."

Veneer shares a bored expression, raising a brow.

"No, you're absolutely right, that's my job." You nod obediently, unfastening the robe's cincture and removing the fabric from him.

Hey, you weren't above acting like a dog for money.

A sly grin finds a way onto Veneer's face, "Glad you're aware of your position, toots."

Ignoring the nickname, you admire the outfit you'd ordered for the photoshoot from a distance, tapping your chin. He stands from his seat, flaunting the radiant costume draped over his body with a few poses. Checking the fabric's condition, as well as the gems, you nod approvingly.

"Looking good! I think you're ready."

"About time." He says with a snarky attitude, swaying towards the photography director.

Knowing that you would likely be here for a while, you'd done yourself a favour and packed the assessments and homework you were yet to catch up on. Finding a spare seat on a nearby table, you lay out your textbooks. You were still in a position where you could watch Veneer strut his stuff, and would be able to touch up his makeup or costume quickly if needed. Speaking of strutting, you took a moment to admire him. The way he moved so naturally was mesmerising; he truly had a knack for posing. You'd never seen Velvet or Veneer in action singing, but you were sure they were just as enchanting. As much as you hate to admit it, they were good.

"Give me fierce! Yes, yes! Beautiful!" The photographer sings, lights flashing and cameras clicking.

Turning back to your textbooks, you take a pencil from your apron's pocket and begin studying. Class and work combined was stressful, but definitely nothing you couldn't handle. You hadn't realised how absorbed you were in studying until a hand swipes the page you were currently working on.

"You're a student?" Veneer raises a brow. His tone remained snarky, but there was a lace of surprise.

Standing abruptly you exclaim, "Veneer! Sorry, um— did you need a touch up?"

"The shoot finished fifteen minutes ago, toots." He threw the paper back onto the table, "Yeah, don't do this around my sister, she'll hate it." Veneer gestures to your mess.

"I was going to pack everything up before you finished, sorry." You apologise sheepishly, collecting the pile and throwing it into your bag.

Veneer shrugs, "I don't care. But trust me, she'll tear this all apart if your entire being is not focused on her."