Chapter 21 - Samara

"So what have you been up to all day?" I asked. "Your attire doesn't seem like it would have taken hours to put on so I'm guessing you had time for other things."

"Your dress took all day to put on?" He grinned, seeming far too amused by the idea of me spending all day getting ready. I glared at him.

"Don't remind me. And just for future reference, there's no way I'm coming to one of these things again unless there's some serious payment for my suffering."

"I'm sure it wasn't that bad."

"Well then maybe you should wear the dress instead, Princess."

"But it looks amazing on you! I don't think I could pull it off as well."

"Those are just excuses because you know these things are torture devices."

"Okay!" Kivani raised his free hand in surrender. "Next time I ask you to a ball I'll make sure to provide more suitable attire so you don't have to suffer."

Next time? He said it so casually. Like of course I would always be the one he'd ask. Why did I like the idea of always being the one he asked? I felt my cheeks heat again. Why couldn't I keep my stupid face under control.

"Yeah, you'd better." Kivani's eye's sparkled, realizing I'd basically agreed to there being a next time. "Now back to my question. What did you do today? I want to know so I can decide how annoyed I am that you had a more enjoyable day than me."

"Well I hate to disappoint you, but my day wasn't all that fun either. They hold the promotion ceremonies in the morning so I had to sit through speeches from the Monik, and the King, plus various advisors and high ranking officials. Then I had to wait while countless men got called up to receive their promotion. Honestly, it was incredibly boring. The only good part was that Nicolev got promoted to Holy Knight so I got to see his pairing ritual."

"Pairing ritual?"

"Yeah, when a Disciple gets promoted to Holy Knight they do a pairing ritual where the new Holy Knight baptizes an angelite weapon in the Eternal Flame. It's how you infuse a weapon with holy fire. Plus, by being the one to perform the baptism yourself, the holy fire in that weapon is linked to your mana signature so only you can summon it. I'm not really sure how it works. I think it's something to do with the angel's blessing. But it's pretty helpful since it keeps people from stealing a holy weapon and using its holy fire."

"Oh, makes sense. What weapon did Nicolev choose?"

"He picked a spear."

"Hm."

"You don't seem impressed."

"Well to each their own. I guess I'm just partial to swords."

"Like that beautiful sword you were using back when we were closing the tear?"

I scowled at him. "Am I going to have to fire you from being my secret keeper?"

"Sorry, I was just curious. But I'll shut up. I promise my lips are sealed." He mimed sealing his lips and then gave me a proud closed lip smile. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Well I guess it's good your lips are sealed, it means there will be more food for me."

"Excuse me! I meant in a metaphorical sense! I will definitely be eating the food tonight. I want to get inspiration for my own baking."

"Woah, already going back on your promise to keep your lips sealed. To think I almost had some peace and quiet."

"You're so mean." Kivani pouted dramatically.