Chapter 10 - Fallon

I struggled to process all the new information as I left the Monik's study. I needed to speak to my father immediately. Unfortunately, he was miles away and I had duties now. I was no longer an initiate, I was Arawn's apprentice. At least that was working out.

I ran into Flynn, who paced outside the study door. He caught me, hands on my shoulders, before I could fall. Usually, I could catch myself, but I had a lot on my mind and my body wasn't quite back to normal yet. With a nod of thanks, I slipped out of his grasp to face Arawn.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to the other Parish members." Arawn gestured, then took off down the hall. I struggled to keep up on my not-quite-healed ankle. Flynn maintained pace beside me.

"You could have told me you planned to split my demonite. I thought you had stolen it was gone," I hissed.

Flynn raised an eyebrow. "You mean when you were unconscious? Or when we were being attacked by half a dozen child mongrel demons? Or maybe when the healer wouldn't let me visit?"

"Fine. I can see how it may have been difficult."

Flynn bumped my shoulder. "You know, most people would be thanking me. I got us out of there and managed to get us graduated."

"You couldn't have gotten out of there without me," I retorted. But to my surprise, I wasn't actually angry. Despite how he probably looked better than me, I didn't mind. We had worked together and that was enough somehow. I turned a crooked smile on him. "But thank you, for not stealing my demonite and condemning me to fail out of the Clunaics."

Flynn laughed. "I really am generous, aren't I?"

"That's exactly how I'd describe you."

He sobered, smile fading. "I do have a question for you."

My gut twisted but I maintained my composure. "Oh?"

"Are you, well... I'm not quite sure how to ask this." He rubbed the back of his head and his voice dropped to a whisper. My stomach climbed into my throat. "Are you a girl?"

I stumbled. Had the old man told him? Flynn watched me closely. No, he didn't know for sure.

I relaxed my shoulders and laughed. "I know I can't grow a beard and I'm a little on the smaller side, but that's quite the jump you made." I shook my head for emphasis.

"It's not the way you look, well maybe a little, but I've never met a man who cares about pissing in front of another. And then the healer wouldn't let me check on you... It's all just a little suspect."

"I'm a man as surely as you are." This conversation needed to end. "This is starting to feel very insulting."

"Alright. But, for the record, I wouldn't tell anyone if you were a girl. I've seen you fight; it wouldn't bother me."

"Well, I'm not a girl. So while I appreciate your... kindness, it's not a concern," I said. Flynn looked like he wanted to say something else, but we entered a training room bustling with activity. There were too many people.

Some boys practiced archery, others swordplay, and still others practiced weaponless combat. I spent years in the training room at my father's estate but the single room where I was the only inhabitant was distinctly different from here, where dozens of men sweat and stunk up the room. The smell alone was enough to choke a demon.

A boy with a bow and blond hair that hung to his chin waved at Arawn. Beside him, a boy laid on a hay bale target, hood over his face. The blond shoved him and the sleeping boy startled up so the hood dropped away.

I took paused. He looked exactly like Flynn, if not a little taller and a little more muscular. I glanced between them.

"My brilliant twin, Torin. Better prepare for a bucketload of arrogance," Flynn murmured.