Chapter 17 - Samara

I sat frozen for a moment, before my instincts screamed at me to move. I managed to shadow leap away right before a flaming spear impaled me. I reappeared short of my goal, my mana stores almost drained. That left me stumbling into the side of a mongrel. My reflexes spurred me to strike it with my blade and it dissolved.

I felt crackling energy at my back and glanced behind me in time to see Kivani trying to close the tear. He had a wide stance, his arms stretched out in front of him. Blue holy fire poured from his fingertips into the black void of the tear.

In my absence from his side, a few mongrels were approaching him, though the blue fire was giving them pause. I ran back towards him to guard his back, my legs protesting the exertion.

I cut down the nearest demons, benefiting from their preoccupation with the holy fire. I repositioned myself in front of Kivani, though I kept myself turned to the side so I could monitor his progression with the tear.

To my excitement, the tear was shrinking. But of course before I had a chance to celebrate, another demon squeezed in through the tear. Kivani, too focused on his task, didn't give her much mind. He must either really trust me, or just be too absorbed in closing the tear to bother.

I shot flames at her, but to my surprise she sent them right back at me. A fire affinity. Great. Fortunately my attack did divert her attention away from Kivani to me.

She hovered above the ground, kept aloft by black leathery wings. If only I had my own wings right now. She gave me a long considering look and then sent a wave of flames at me like she couldn't be bothered to come down here. I managed to divert the flames, but only barely.

"It's done!" Kivani exclaimed, falling to his knees in exhaustion. The tear was gone!

At the sound of Kivani's voice the flying demon's attention whipped to him. She quickly landed and started walking toward him.

"Kivani," she called out in a kind voice that definitely did not match her appearance.

Kivani froze and slowly turned his gaze to the demon. When his eyes fell upon her, they widened in shock.

"Mom?" He said, his voice breaking with emotion.

"My son," The demon cooed.

"It, it can't be you. You're dead."

"It's alright, I promise it's me."

"Kivani! Snap out of it. Whatever soul fuels it, it's still just a demon. Hurry up and kill it with your holy fire!"

But Kivani was still frozen. He just watched as the demon slowly walked up to him. If this demon really did possess the soul of his mother, he would want her to be purified. But if the idiot didn't do it quickly, he was going to end up dead.

Tears streamed down Kivani's face. He slowly raised his hand, blue flames sputtering weakly in his palm.

"You wouldn't hurt me." the demon said softly.

It actually seemed like she was right as the flames Kivani had summoned went out. Did he have some sort of deathwish?

I saw the moment the demon stopped the act. It lunged forward claws aimed at Kivani's throat. My blade impaled her before she could reach him. She slumped lifelessly and I kicked her off my blade. I shuddered at the exertion of the shadow jump to Kivani's side.

I turned to make sure he was okay. Our gazes collided and I was taken aback by the anger in his usually soft green eyes.

"You killed her." He hissed, his words coated with venom.