Chapter 6 - Fallon

Chapter 6 - Fallon

The week passed slower than I anticipated. I spent it resting and training. Occasionally, when Mavie had a free hour, we wandered the city together. It was a wondrous place, but I was often preoccupied with the threat of death hanging over me.

On the morning of our departure for the Dead Zone, Mavie accompanied me as I waited for the carriage. She couldn't stop casting worried glances my way. Flynn leaned against a stone pillar without a care in the world.

Finally, I groaned. "Stop, Mavie. I'll be back the day after tomorrow."

Mavie bit her lip. "How can you say that? Some initiates never return, and some return in such a state they never graduate."

"I've prepared to kill demons my whole life. This will be a walk in the park." It would not be so easy, but I wanted to ease her concern. I wasn't comfortable with so much emotion.

Mavie tugged at her hair. "But what if there are too many demons?"

Flynn cut in before I could respond. "I'll make sure your knight in shining armor makes it out alive."

"I don't need your help."

Flynn pushed off the pillar and strode over. "We'll see what you say once we get in there." He leaned in so his soft breath hit my face. It smelled of coffee and honey. "You might change your mind."

I rolled my eyes. "Not likely."

Mavie grabbed my arm, eyes wide. "You'll stand a much better chance at surviving together."

I slipped from her grip, but couldn't hide from her eyes. For her benefit I said, "We'll see."

Shortly after, a small carriage rattled to a stop before us. We climbed inside and Mavie waved until we rolled out of sight.

"You managed to find a girlfriend fast," Flynn commented from his seat across from me. The carriage was cramped, even with only two of us.

"What? Mavie's not my girlfriend," I said. I wasn't even sure I liked girls. Or boys. My father hadn't exactly provided time to explore my romantic inclinations.

"Not yet," he countered. His knee bounced against mine and I jerked away.

"Well, do you have a girlfriend?" I asked. His cheeks reddened and he looked away. I grinned. "You don't. Bet you've never even kissed anyone!"

"If I hadn't it wouldn't be surprising. There aren't exactly a ton of reasonable options on the Islands."

I peered at him. "You never visited the brothels?"

He stared out the window at the passing grassland. "That sort of thing never seemed right to me."

Once again, I'd pushed too far. I ducked my head, but his gaze returned to mine. "You were wrong about me never kissing a girl." It was his turn to smirk. "But I'd bet you never have."

"Seems like a waste of time to me. I've got demons to fight," I said. And evil men to kill. We lapsed into silence for the remainder of the ride.

It was an hour before noon by the time we arrived at the Dead Zone. The Monik was nowhere in sight, but a gaggle of Holy Knights stood by a guard tower. There were many guard towers around the Dead Zone, and a few, like this one, protected gates.

A Holy Knight with blond hair and a smile that glowed with the light of the sun approached us. He shook my hand, then Flynn's. "It's nice to meet the two stars of all this. Your scores were spectacular, I'm looking forward to you joining my Parish's ranks."