Khalid In Riyadh

Khalid entered the hotel room, sat on one of the two beds in the room and switched on his mobile. To his surprise, there was already a message from Fajr in Whatsapp. He opened the message, "I started missing you already. Message me once you reach Riyadh, and take care."

Once reading it, he smiled and replied. "Reached Riyadh, I'll take care. You have fun."

After sending the message, a thought thumped to call her, but before he opened the contacts list, his roommate came inside the room by closing the balcony door.

"The view from the balcony showed the city of Riyadh in all its beauty." The man said, "yet in the night it'll be breathtaking."

Khalid nodded, still looking at his cell phone.

"What are you thinking so deeply by looking into your mobile?" The man asked.

Khalid replied, "Nothing. I'll take a shower now. You take enough rest."

In the meantime, Fajr was sitting with Huda in the garden in front of the entrance and chatting.

"I just don't know why he is so much against the idea of me having a job."

Huda poured two cups of tea then handed Fajr some biscuits before replying; "I can understand the case because I know very well how conservative Khalid is! He becomes so possessive around those whom he loves most."

Fajr wanted to ask if Khalid reacted in the same way in his first marriage, but decided better off it. She took a bite of the biscuit then asked; "you think I should give up trying to convince him?"

"No, but keep in mind it's likely he will never agree."

Fajr let out a soft laugh; "you are not making it seem any easy."

They sat in silence as they ate. Then Fajr tilted her head and gave a friendly smile at the coming. It was Fatima approaching. Huda turned, looking in the same direction and welcomed her mother.

A pop-up notification made Fajr smile. She read his message.

At night, Fahad and Huda had decided to watch a movie and order pizza. It took a long time, before Huda agreed on the movie that Fahad had chosen. Fahad ordered the pizza while Huda and Fajr, set up the living room. They arranged pillows on the floor so they could get right into the action of the movie. Huda's running commentary throughout the movie annoyed Fahad. She had already seen the movie three times and had learnt by heart its dialogues. Before the start of each scene, she started to tell its complete summary. At last, her brother glared at her: why don't we switch off the TV and listen to Huda instead?

Fajr laughed.

About halfway through the movie, right at the most exciting part, the pizza arrived. Although they all agreed it's a good movie Fajr was lost in thought that she couldn't enjoy it. Her thoughts kept roaming back to Khalid. She never realized that she had fallen deeply in love with him. That she started missing him since the moment he walked out the door.

After the movie had ended, Fajr took a quick shower, dressed in pink pajama and had kept her hair relatively dry. She walked over to the mirror and started brushing her hair. Once again Khalid occupied her thoughts.

"what is he doing right now? why he hasn't called yet?"

She twisted her hair into a bun and climbed into the bed. She lay down and covered herself with the blanket. Curled up cozy on Khalid's bed when he forced his way into her mind again.

Fajr was not the only one who wasn't able to sleep.

Upon hearing the phone ringing, she quickly sat up, nearly jumped.