A dose of love

The next morning, Khalid was taking a bath before breakfast. Fajr was in the kitchen, a smile occupied her face. She started a fire in the stove and put the frying pan on it, waiting for it to heat. During that time, she broke the eggs into a bowl, making sure none of them were fertilized, and then poured them into the hot skillet. While they cooked, she cut four slices of bread, buttered them and put them in the second skillet.

After a minute or so, she turned over the bread and toasted the other side when she felt Khalid behind her, she could hear his breathing. She felt a tug at her hair as he deftly released the barrette. Her hair fell down her back.

"Good morning, bride!" he murmured against her hair, breathing in her shampoo.

Fajr turned her head back over her shoulder and gave him a shy smile; "good morning!" She eased a step away before turning to serve the eggs onto a plate.

"This is what people call good mornings" Khalid commented then took a seat on the island table and stretched his legs out underneath the table in a lazy way watching Fajr as she was pouring the tea into their cups. The smell of fried eggs filled the kitchen.

After they ate breakfast, Fajr brought hot coffee to the table where Khalid was sitting with his mobile phone.
His phone pinged indicating a voice message. He reached for his phone. it was a message from Muhsen's doctor. Khalid tucked the earbuds into his ears and listened with a noticeable concern.

After listening to the doctor's  message, he sent a text message to Muhsen.

Fajr sipped her coffee and asked him; "what are you listening to?"

He pulled the earbuds out and tucked them into his shirt pocket; "Nothing important. Just a voice messagefrom the doctor." He made himself smile, trying to pretend everything was normal. He felt bad for hiding the truth from her.

Fajr thought it was from Khalid's doctor. So she made an innocent face with a pleading look and asked if she could accompany him to his doctor's appointment.

"No my darling! Ahmed will be with me."

my darling he called her - for the first time.

After having his coffee, Khalid got dressed. As he passed the kitchen, Fajr walked him to the front door. His mobile phone peeped to indicate a text message. He took it out of his pocket and read the text.

"See, Ahmed is waiting." He informed her.

She put her hand on the door handle; "take care!"

Khalid leaned forward and dropped a kiss on her cheek; "you too."

Fajr closed the door behind him and leaned against it, smiling stupidly  and daydreaming.

At the corner of the street, Khalid spotted Ahmed's car in the distance and saw him waiting in the driver's seat. As soon as Khalid hopped in the passenger's seat, Ahmed started the car. Khalid was whistling a tune all along the way. Then he switched on the radio's FM station and started to repeat the words of a Shilah, patting his knee.

Observing Khalid's joyful mood, Ahmed asked with plain curiosity; "what's going on?"

The question drew Khalid's attention to Ahmed; "what?"

"It looks like you are on cloud nine!"

Khalid gave a meaningful smile, then looked in the rear view mirror and rubbed his chin.

"My medical leave is almost over...should not I be glad?"

The traffic light ahead had just turned to red and Ahmed slowed his car to a stop; "say this to Omer or Fahed, not me. You are oozing charm. Seems you are on good terms with your wife, aren't you?"