•Chapter 20•

Years prior..

Rio and his father had stood at the table in one of the many warehouses they had scattered along the city. The crisp, green American currency held weight in his hands as he thumbed through the bills- wrapping the wad with a rubber band once they added up to 10,000$. He tossed one into the duffel bag, mimicking the way his father haphazardly tossed the cash in- like it was just paper. At 18 years old, it felt life altering, holding that much money. But his father remained stoic, not glancing at one bill too long, treating it like they were thumbing through receipts. And if it was one thing about Rio- it was that he followed in his footsteps. If his dad wasn't impressed, Rio wouldn't dare show that he was.

"Money comes and goes, Mijo.", his father spoke, seemingly reading his mind.

His attention flicked upward to his son. They were nearly identical. The way they looked, talked, and acted. But as the foundation of their business began to crack and crumble under the boot of the DEA, he had wished he had kept his son away from this life. He wished that it didn't feel like looking in the mirror and seeing his younger self.

"What matters is the people around you- who you keep close. You need people you can trust- con quien puedes contar. This-", he held a wad of cash up. "is just paper, Mijo. It comes and it goes. The people you keep around will too, if you fail to choose wisely."

"Because paper isn't going to help you when you're in trouble. It doesn't care whether you live or die. You make it for the people around you- the people you care about. And that's all that it is."

His father never said anything that Rio hadn't took to heart and etched into his brain. In hindsight, it was almost comical that Nathaniel Moreno had finally decided to make an appearance. The heavy steel door clattered closed behind him.

huelo dinero!", Nathaniel chuckled as he sauntered up to the table, hardly glancing at either of the men, eyes glued to the duffel bag stuffed full with cash.

Rio's father shot him a glance as the most perfect example of someone who valued money above all else stood drooling over the table.

"Vamos a Las Vegas esta noche, creo que nos lo merecemos.", Nathaniel suggested.

-

With the declaration of war since been signed, Rio's head span with every single way he could end this as quickly as possible. His father's words hung heavily in his mind. Money was all that they cared about- your father and uncle. Luis probably didn't have enough to get back across the southern border. They had nothing. Nothing but scraps and crumbs of the fortune they once sat on. He knew Luis was going to come at him every way he could- including you.

His jaw tightened as he climbed the staircase and his eyelids bore a familiar heaviness to them. The entirety of his night had been spent planning and making collections. Sleepless nights weren't anything new to him. But the added weight of this building conflict, tired him to his core. Your added weight wasn't helping.

His cousin had been right in accusing Rio of developing a soft spot for you. He hated that he was right. You were a problem of the most desirable kind— soft, sweet, beautiful— family of the enemy. He couldn't fathom how you shared the same blood as the monsters who murdered his father. He also couldn't fathom how you constantly seemed to slither your way to the forefront of his mind. He hated it.

He slid the key into the lock and entered his apartment, the curtains had been drawn back, letting in the bleak rays from the rising winter sun.

The faint scent of lemon wafted in the air.