•Chapter 17•

The lump in your throat would have contended the Grand Canyon in size. You wiped your hands on your slacks to combat the perspiration. The judge couldn't have been less than one-hundred years old, a permanent scowl etched into his wrinkled face. You couldn't tell if time slowed on your behalf or if he was just that slow as he reached the chair on the Judge's perch.

"You may all be seated.", he announced into the mic sat adjacent from his gavel.

Everyone else snaps into position, the court room filled with the sounds of muffled shuffling. You sat down very last, looking around the room with wide eyes. Brian patted you on the back lightly before returning his hand to the files strewn before him. You couldn't help but to wonder if all lawyers were this touchy- or if it was just the expensive ones. Vera's picture stayed firmly between your thumb and index finger laid on your lap. It comforted you to some extent, it was like having a piece of her with you. Your finger lined the edge of the photograph. The judge took a piece of paper into his hand and narrowed his eyes as he scanned the scribing.

"Case 237-94, Vasquez vs Moreno on behalf of Vera Moreno. Are all parties present?", he looked amongst the two lawyers.

Her name echoes from the speakers of the courtroom, making your heart thump a bit harder and your nerves scramble even further. You held the picture a little tighter.

Both stood, her lawyer spoke first, "Vasquez is present, your honor."

"Moreno is present, your honor.", Brian spoke shortly after before sitting back down and adjusting his blazer.

Your leg bounced as the Judge looked over the paperwork briefly, flipping through the pages, scanning over them haphazardly. You wondered what they said, if they were good or bad. The thought began eating you alive.

"So it's my understanding that Mrs.Vasquez filed and was granted emergency custody of the child after Ms.Moreno abandoned her?", the Judge asked, directing his attention to Sylvia's lawyer.

Your brows immediately furrowed. You didn't abandon her. It sounded so severe, so opposite of what had actually happened. You tugged on Brian's sleeve and leant into his ear.

"That's not how it happened. I didn't abandon her.", your voice was as desperate as you felt.

Brian nodded and immediately stood up. Your anxiety flew through the roof. This was already off to a bad start- a horrible start.

"Your honor, I must object. Ms.Moreno did not abandon the child and saying it that way is a gross exaggeration.", Brian argued, motioning to you sat beside him.

The judge peered at him from over his glasses. He folded his hands in front of him.

"How would you describe it then? Because no matter what word you use, Mr.Seitz, it all paints the same picture.", the Judge prompted.

"My client was in a state of duress. She had simply dropped the child off for a night. It's not a crime to need a break, your honor.", he argued.

Okay, that made it seem like you were some kind of crazy person. It definitely sounded better than 'abandoned' though.

"Overruled.", the gavel came down in response.

Brian sat back down with an exhale. You were immediately back in his ear.

"What does that mean?"

"It means he's going to treat it like you abandoned her.", Seitz explained in a hushed manner.

Your heart got caught in your throat. The speed of your bouncing leg increased ten-fold. You leaned back away from your attorney.

"Where was I? Oh, alright, Ms.Moreno leaving the child at Ms.Vasquez's care. Is that true?", he asked the other attorney who promptly stood up and gave him an affirmative.