Chapter 43

8:30 came sooner than expected and I was not looking forward to the meeting with Samuel. I could tell that he had things planned that he wasn't letting us in on and I don't think we are the only ones left out of the loop. For some reason, I don't think the doctor knows everything either. As Ava and I made our way over to Samuel's my body began to shake in anticipation of something. I could feel that something was going to happen tonight. It was like my body was getting ready for something as if it could feel what was coming.

"You ready?" Ava whispers.

I look over to her face to see that she's looking onto the house with some kind of interest. I wonder if she is feeling the same things I'm feeling.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

She gives me a side glance with a light smile and then we make our way into the house. Once we're inside, we make our way over to Samuel's office. I raise my hand to lightly knock on the door, but Ava takes the doorknob in her hand and roughly pushes it open. I can see the doctor and Samuel inside and it seems we interrupted something because it is clear we entered in the middle of their conversation and Samuel looks pissed.

The tick in his jaw is set and I can tell through his eyes that he's angry. I've seen the look before. Ava stiffens next to me and I can feel her hand go rigid, but she doesn't let it show through her voice.

"Apologies boys, I forgot how to knock."

His face changes into in almost sardonic smile as he looks at Ava. I can tell by the way she squeezes my hand that she doesn't like it. I cover her with half of my body as I step in front of her. The doctor takes this time to push his glasses up his face and give me an assessing look.

"I believe you said for us to come at 8:30 to discuss the particulars about our meeting we will be having?"

Samuel looks over to me his smile turns almost genuine, "Yes, did you want to do this privately."

Before I can speak Ava interrupts me, "No, she's good. You can start now."

Samuel's face changes to pure anger but he doesn't let it show in his voice as he says, "Sit, please. Both of you. I will need you to remain still and quiet throughout our conference and when you are instructed you must do it. Any hesitation and the wolves may see this as a show. We need this entire thing to be perfect."

"What will you have us do?" I speak up.

Samuel gives me a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes as he speaks, "The great doctor and I are still trying to decide that." He turns his head over to the doctor that I can't quite decipher.

The doctor clears his throat and pushes his glasses up his nose before speaking "I thought it better to keep you out of the video. All of our investigations have pointed that by having you two interact with your mates could strengthen the bond even more. We need to allow for him to feel out of control as well as for Captain Samuel to hold all the cards, but the Captain feels differently."

"I have to confess that I do feel this way. I feel that it will be more beneficial for you, Adelaide to be in the video." 

"Why not me?" Ava speaks.

Samuel gives her a cruel smile and I know just by the look of it that he plans to say something she definitely won't like, "You, my dear, are a loose cannon and we don't actually need you just yet. Maybe later, during a face-to-face meeting, but for now your fine staying in the background."

"Fuck y-"

"Alright, that's enough," I speak up, "I'm sorry Samuel, but I have to agree with the doctor. I'm not comfortable being on camera and seeing him or him seeing me. I can be here for whatever else you need but I don't think I can make an appearance. Not yet."