Chapter 33

After last night's events I'm full of nerves. Axle had given me the rundown of what was to happen throughout the night and while I had no real job besides to be there and "be pleasant", I still felt that terror of being surrounded by supernatural beings. Being outnumbered didn't feel good and it certainly didn't feel good to know that if anything went wrong that this would end badly for myself.

When we had gone to bed last night, Axle was giddy with the day's events, and I could tell he was happy for what was to come. Little did he know what was to come. When we awoke in the morning, he let me know that we would not be going far for the celebration and that we would really be going to the other side of the pack lands to another pack house he had developed as the years progressed and his numbers increased. He mentioned that that house was much bigger and contained a hall as well as his meeting room and another official office.

When we had made it to the other house to say I was shocked would be an understatement. The annex we lived in was spacious and the house on the other side was even bigger but this house was huge. It was grand and had a presence that commanded people to look at it. Axle must have looked over at my dumbstruck face because he let out a chuckle and began to talk.

"Surprised? It's a lot grander than the other house since this is where my more official business takes place. It's also far enough away from where we live so we are not endangered."

"Is that why Ava and Emily live so close to us? Because it's safer for them?"

Axle nods his head and turns to me giving me and unrecognizable look, "They are higher up females and so are their mates. I have lived a long life and have acquired many enemies within that time. I do not wish for that harm to hurt you or the others."

I shake my head trying to digest all of his words, but then I realize he said he's lived a long life, but he can't be older than his early thirties. I turn to him scrunching up my eyebrows, "Exactly how old are you?"

He narrows his eyes, but not in anger, in deep thought, "I stopped counting once I reached a century."

I widen my eyes in horror, "I'm sorry, what!"

He rubs his chin thoughtfully and looks over to the pack house, "Well, I'd say I'm around 200 years old, maybe a bit older. The king is even older than that. Why do you look surprised?"

"Because you don't look older that in your thirties!"

He gives me a smirk and looks down at me, "Yes, well wolves age a lot differently than humans. You have learned this in your studies, yes? Many supernatural beings age differently according to their race. For instance, vampires stop aging when they hit their late twenties, but there have been some cases where they have stopped aging later."

"Why do wolves age differently? Like what tells them to stop aging, is there are reason why?"

He nods but gives a me a speculative look, "I will have to review what Noah is teaching you. This should have already been taught to you."

It probably was. I probably just wasn't listening.

"Sometimes Noah says he won't teach it to me because he thinks it would be better coming from you. He says that it's personal."

He gives an understanding nod, "He would be right. This is why the Re-Education program will be so helpful for you humans. It will teach you all about us, so you won't be ignorant to our ways."

Oh whatever. Nobody asked you to takeover.

"Will you tell me the reason?" I say, trying to keep the irritation out of my voice.

"Wolves don't technically stop aging we just age slower according to the moon goddess' ruling. It is believed that she slows it, due to her wanting our ages to match our mates since our aging doesn't change again till we meet our other half."