Chapter 36

During the drive to wherever we were going and really through the entire drive I slept. Every time I looked over to Ava, I noticed that she was also either asleep or falling into the throws of it. I could tell she was trying to fight it through and fight it hard. She didn't want to sleep, and I couldn't help but wonder why. Throughout my drowsiness I could hear some talking, while they were hushed tones, I could still make out some of the words.

"-won't be happy..."

"Couldn't leave...could be valuable...Samuel will understand."

"I don't know Luke."

The drive seemed to last a while and while I had never actually woken up, I could feel someone lifting me into their arms and taking me somewhere. 

"Hey wake up. Adelaide, wakey wakey. It's time for you to get up now."

I groaned rubbing my hand over my eyes and squinting them to get them adjusted to the light. I think Ava was standing above me and I could hear distant voices. They seemed to be muffled by the sound of a door or something else. 

"Hey, Addy? You awake now? I see your eyes are open."

"Yes Ava. I'm up."

"Geez, someone's cranky."

She's right. I'm incredibly cranky. I don't know why though. 

"She'll be like that for a while. You would be acting the same way if you had actually slept like you're supposed to." A voice pipes in.

I look over to see the young man who had taken us from out of the kitchen leaning his back against the door. This must be the brother; he has the same set of eyes as Ava only his hair is a deeper shade of red like a low burning light ready to go out. 

"Are you Ava's brother?"

He gave me a nod and look over at Ava. I could tell he was unsure about having us here or at least me because their seemed to be a nervous tick in his features. I gave Ava a questioning glance, but she just shrugged it off. 

"What happened?"

"You were asleep for a long time. They want to have their doctor check over you to make sure you're okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

There's a pause and Ava looks over at her brother as if waiting for him to say something. Finally, he lets out a sigh and stops leaning on the wall to come closer to us. He still has his arms crossed and he's started to pinch the corner of his elbow.

"When mates first leave their partners, they may begin to feel side effects from the distance. Ava hasn't had any yet, but I think that's because she's not really sleeping."

"What kind of side effects?"

He lets out a loud sigh, "In the car, you both fell asleep. Well at least you did, Ava fought it like the plague, so she kept coming in and out. Without their influence your body begins to go through withdrawals. Some mates have been known to get sick, others depressed, and some have little to no symptoms, but we like to check to make sure everything is okay."

"That must be why you're so cranky!" Ava pipes in.

I nod at this information my interest peaking, "So, even if we aren't mated to them fully, we can still feel the bond affecting us?"

"Most humans only feel it a little, but there have been cases of bad occurrences happening with females mated to those with a higher standing, so every precaution we take will help insure your health."