Training

Louis shivered slightly in the cool breeze as he watched as Albert let out an exhausted huff, whipping sweat from his brow, the sun beaming unrelentingly on his pale face. Albert may have been stronger than both him and William but a life spent in doors meant that he didn’t have the best stamina. Something that put him at a particular disadvantage when Jack rose them at dawn an hour ago, and announced that they were going to be taking part in their first drill. A complete lap of the entire Rothwell estate. The catch? They had to avoid being seen at any cost.

Louis did feel a twinge sympathy for Albert as the older boy had made it about 3/4 of the way before a servant passed by a window and casually glanced at him, something their instructor deemed a fail and so he was made to repeat the exercise. It was not made easy by the rising sun and busying household, but Albert’s determination had paid off and he soon joined them at the apple orchard to the left of the estate. The place where Jack had decided they would be training.

Louis could see why Jack had chosen this place for their training. The apple trees were thick and bushy so despite their close proximity to the manor there weren’t any vantage points for them to be viewed from. Almost suspiciously so, most of the leaves that faced the manor were wall-like and dark whilst the ones that looked towards the forest seemed in much more pristine condition. The ground was on a slight incline so if anyone were to attempt to view them with how well kept the grounds were they’d be seen long before they could witness their training sessions. Perfect is a commonly misused word, but Louis couldn’t find any fault with the area at all. No matter how hard he tried.

William had excelled at Jack’s challenge, he had somehow managed to perfectly time his runs so he could run in a straight line every time he darted from behind a pillar without being seen. Louis couldn’t help but marvel at his brother’s ability to adapt to any challenge he seemed to face. He was about ready to leap to his brother’s defence when Jack had criticised his boldness but William’s light chuckle of agreement cut him off. His older brother now stood determinedly looking at Jack who was waiting for Albert to catch his breath before speaking.

Louis himself wouldn’t exactly boast, his injury and past heart condition left him in a similar stamina range to that of Albert. Possibly lower if he was truthful enough to admit fault. His saving grace was a childhood spent in the streets, William couldn’t always be around so Louis had long since learned that swift and quiet footsteps are the difference between a good meal and a less than desirable fate for those whom enjoy having the ability to expel air from their lungs. Louis had managed to move past the rather suspicious grounds keeper without detection and given that Jack had never made him repeat anything no one in the manor had seen him either, despite his slower pace.

”Great first day then, I’ll try do better tomorrow” Albert announced finally becoming more composed as he brushed his hair back and went to stand beside William with an all too hopeful if strained smile.

Jack laughed “I told you I was going to train you, if you hadn’t proved yourselves smart enough to understand that this is where I’d have buried your bodies.” Louis paled as he glanced at the ground. Earlier he had been more focused on its visibility, but now he actually looked the area beneath his feet it had unsettlingly pressed dirt that reminded him hauntingly so of a graveyard. Whilst William was as jovial as ever as he smiled at their “honourable” instructor, Albert seemed to share Louis’s discomfort fear glazing the corner of his eyes as they both realised Jack was most certainly not joking.

The greying man in question moved towards a ragged satchel a few paces away and retrieved 2 long blades. William spoke up before the hilts had even fully passed into view “They’re blunt. You want two of us to fight each other.” Despite it being phrased as a question it was clearly statement, William already having a read on how these next events would play out. Louis glanced to the side anxiously, he may have stamina on Albert that was about all he had. He knew the older boy was a frequent fencer. As for William, even if Louis had the advantage it was not as though he would be quite willing to use it against him. Louis hoped beyond hope that it was just another test to see how well they worked together but Jack’s nod of agreement sealed his fate.

“William and Albert will go first then Louis can do battle with the winner.” How thrilling… Louis thought with a pushed away sigh as Jack handed each boy a dull blade.

Louis moved away from the ring of the flat ground to give them both space. Louis knew that it was an eventuality they’d have to duel together but he’d wished it wouldn’t have come so soon, William and Albert gazed at each other with a warm pride, competition seeming to draw their blazing spirts. Maybe he should follow their lead? Louis wasn’t an innocent person, he could raise a dagger even a fiery stake to his own face or his opponents should the moment call. But there was something so uncomfortable to him about doing it William, it made his skin crawl with unease.

“Ready?”

”Ready.”

With that the two of them were off a disorganised symphony of dulled blades, as expected for someone older Albert had the strength. He swiftly struck William’s blade on the first blow managing to make the younger boy’s shoes scuff against the earth. William on the other hand seemed more focused on observing Albert’s fighting style, eventually deciding on wearing him out, darting from side to side getting in weaker but more repeatable blows. Whilst both had admirable styles and they seemed to be fighting to little success. Louis was starting to see why William was so certain on employing Jack’s mentorship so early. William clearly wasn’t too certain on what exactly he was supposed to do or wear to hit, his gaze casting upwards to Jack enough so that Albert had begun taking the lead again. Whilst Albert seemed more aware he was still only going for the direct attacks and didn’t seem to have a strategy in mind, even if he did he was so focused on taking a swift win he didn’t notice William’s attempts to wear him down.

Louis glanced towards Jack who was resting back against a tree a few paces away, the older man’s face was purposely blank. He surely would’ve noticed William’s eyes flicking in his direction but he didn’t give his brother any indication that he did.