𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫|| 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

After the hexagonal portal opened up into her word, Y/n hurriedly entered her apartment. Still clad in her spidersuit, her heart pounding with the realization that she had limited time to prepare herself for the dinner with her family. She totally forgot.
Without wasting a moment, she dashed into the bathroom, stripping off her suit and stepping into the refreshing spray of the shower. The water cascaded over her, washing away the grime and tension of the day.
With only half an hour left, Y/n moved swiftly, her mind racing as she mentally planned out her outfit. She rummaged through her closet, selecting a simple yet presentable dress that she could slip into effortlessly.
Ready as she could be, Y/n hurriedly left her apartment and headed to the bus stop. The crowded bus arrived, and she squeezed herself into the midst of the bustling commuters, her mind preoccupied with thoughts of the impending dinner. Suddenly, her phone buzzed, and she glanced down to see a message from her mother. It was in Spanish, a clear sign that her mother was angry.
The message was:

¿Dónde estás?
¡Te esperamos
durante 20 minutos!

I am coming mà!

Y/n quickly composed a reply, her fingers dancing across the screen as she typed. Her heart sank slightly, realizing that her tardiness was likely to cause some tension at the dinner table.
As the bus reached her stop, Y/n stepped off and made her way towards her parents' house with quick steps. With each step, her anticipation grew, but so did her nervousness. She approached the front door and took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell.

The door swung open, revealing her mother, Rio, standing there with an air of nervousness. Her eyes scanned Y/n from head to toe, assessing her daughter's appearance and demeanor. Standing beside Rio was her father, Jeff, who wore a perplexed expression, clearly wondering why Y/n was late.
<<Finally! ¿Dónde estabas?>> Rio exclaimed in Spanish, her voice tinged with frustration.
Y/n met her mother's gaze, her expression apologetic.
<

<I was late because I finished late at work.>> she replied softly, explaining that she was late because of work.
Rio's stern features softened slightly, but suspicion still lingered in her eyes.
Putting on a brave face, Y/n greeted her parents with a warm smile, and hugging both of them, attempting to ease the tension that hung in the air. <<Hola, mamá, papá.>> she said in a calm tone, trying to convey her love and affection, as she hugged both of them and left a kiss on her father's cheek.
Rio nodded, her gaze not quite relenting, while Jeff offered a small smile in return.
As they made their way to the dining table, Y/n hoped that the evening would bring understanding and reconciliation. And if there were questions that she could avoid, she had to be a great liar.
As they settled around the dining table, the aroma of freshly baked empanadas filled the air, bringing a touch of comfort to the tense atmosphere. Y/n took a seat next to her father, Jeff, while Rio sat across from her.

They began to eat, savoring the delicious flavors of the empanadas that Rio accurately prepared for both of them. Y/n's parents shared stories of their daily lives, discussing their experiences in their work, hobbies, and the latest news in their community. Y/n listened attentively, genuinely interested in their lives and the connection they were trying to reestablish.
After a while, Rio couldn't contain her thoughts any longer. She set down her empanada and looked directly at Y/n, her tone accusatory.
<<Siempre llegas tarde, ¿no te importa nuestra familia?>> Rio said, her Spanish words came out really quickly but it was easy for Y/n to understand what she said.
Y/n's brows furrowed, feeling defensive yet understanding her mother's concern <<Mamá, I was really busy with work. I told you already.>> she explained, her voice tinged with frustration <<I can not always control my hour of work but that doesn't mean I don't care about the family.>>
Rio's eyes narrowed, her voice rising slightly <<Siempre te enfocas en el trabajo y no nos cuentas nada más sobre tu vida. ¿Cómo esperas que te entendamos si nunca nos dices lo que estás viviendo?>>
Y/n's frustration grew, her tone matching Rio's intensity. <<It's normal to keep some things to myself. Not always I can share the details about my life. Now we can we just talk about everything but now work?>> .
The tension in the room thickened as their voices clashed, each word carrying the weight of years of unspoken emotions. Y/n's frustration stemmed from the feeling that her parents only saw her as a superhero, neglecting the other aspects of her life.
Y/n took a deep breath, and met Rio's gaze agaim
<<I understand that you're concerned about me, mamá.>> Y/n began, her voice steady yet filled with emotion, she did not want to fight with her family <<But my work demands a lot from me. I try my best to balance everything, but it's not always easy.>>.
Rio's eyes softened, her frustration giving way to a flicker of understanding <<I just worry, hija. You're always rushing, always on the go. You disappear and appear like nothing! It feels like we're missing out on your life because you never share.>>
Y/n's expression remained like it was already, her voice tinged with vulnerability <<I'm sorry if it seems that way, ma. It's just... there are certain aspects of my life that I can't fully disclose. It's not because I don't trust you or don't value your support. It's to protect you, to keep you safe...>>
Rio's features softened further, her voice filled with concern <<We're your family, Y/n. We want to be there for you, to support you through the good and the bad. Just tell us what's wrong.>>.
Y/n nodded no <<No, I can't.>>.
Rio tried to be understanding towards her <<Mija, please...>>.
<<No mamà, it's complicated.>> Y/n tried to stay complicated. Just if she was a little bit brave to tell her, maybe everything would be better. Or worse, it could all be a disaster.
Jeff, that till now was quiet, spoke <<If you stay quiet, it's obvious you don't want to do so.>>.
<<I do... just...>> Y/n looked away, trying to find her words. Jeff raised an eyebrown <<Just what?>>.
Y/n's frustration resurfaced, her brows furrowing, her tone was angry and loud to make everyone shut up <<I just can't!>>.
The room fell into a tense silence as both father and daughter locked eyes, and the mother just looked both of them, the weight of their unspoken emotions hanging heavily.
Suddenly, Y/n couldn't bear it any longer. The anger and frustration bubbled within her until it overflowed. With a heavy sigh, she angrily stood up from the table, her voice filled with hurt <<I can't do this right now. I need some time to think, to figure things out.>>.
Without waiting for a response, Y/n turned and walked away, her footsteps echoing through the house. Tears welled up in her eyes as she made her the door. Her mother and her father called for her, but she ignored them. She quickly wore her coat that she left in the hallway and she walked outside, seeking solace in the familiarity of her surroundings.