Part 12/13 The Sheriff Arrives

It didn't matter that Beatrice did not finish the call to the Sheriff. Smelly Freddy had already found him at his office after a night of the Sheriff chasing him all over town. Freddy revealed his source for the message to Izito and demanded the Sheriff issue a warrant for Charles's arrest for failure to pay his debts. Freddy told the Sheriff about talking to Bernie and William's missing being all co-wince-a-dental.

Sheriff Gus Nichols didn't know what to think. He had known Charles Livengood all his life. But William was gone, and Charles was known for being protective of his ladies. Before he had time to think about his next move, he got a call from Candi's mom who told him that Izito and Donald Stanley were headed out to the Livengood home. They had a lead on missing tennis players. A missing eighty year old mother, a missing local man, a missing professor, and two missing college students. Was it possible they were all connected? Was it in the words of Freddy, just all too co-wince-a-dental?

Not matter, Charles Livengood had some questions to answer. The Sheriff issued an APB for Charles, and got in his car and headed to the house. On the way there, Cindy called and said there was a hang-up 911 call from the Livengood house. Sheriff Nichols cut his blue light on and speeded up. He told Cindy to have help on stand-by, he didn't want to overreact or panic though his heart felt like it was in his throat.

When he arrived, Sheriff Nichols pulled up and saw Bernie running from the back to the front of the house.

"Oh thank God, " she said, "Thank God you're here. Help me, I am trying to find a rope. Magdalena needs a rope."

"A rope?" said the Sheriff, "Magdalena?"

"Yes, help me. William needs our help."

"William? What is going on here?"

"I'll tell you what is going on," said Bernie, "My Uncle Charles is a monster." She grabbed a water hose and started to pull on it. It was one of those flexible hoses, good as a rope, thought Bernie.

Sheriff Nichols grabbed the water hose and pulled it loose from the spigot. "Let's go," he said.

Sheriff Gus Nichols and Bernie were feeding the water hose rope through the vent when Izito and Donald Stanley came around the house .

The Sheriff looked up at them from his position on the ground on his stomach. He was as far in the vent as he could go. "Get in the house. Use precautions. Get to the basement, there's flooding. Be careful. There are captives down there. We are trying to reach some of them this way, but some are trapped."

"My mother?" asked Izito.

"Willa and Jane?" asked Donald.

"I don't know," said the Sheriff, "but hurry. That's Mayor Booker's car over there. Assume he's dangerous. Hurry now."

There was a sound from underneath the house. All three men and Bernie looked at each other and froze. A baby was crying.

"Hurry," yelled the Sheriff, "Go. Go."