Part 12/5 Smelly Freddy Gets Even

Charles told Smelly Freddy he would meet him the next day and give him an extra twenty for delivering the message. Charles lied. He only told Freddy that to ensure he would actually deliver the message and not just get drunk on the money he gave him up front. After he left the message for Izito with the lady out front, Smelly Freddy did go out and get drunk, but twenty dollars only goes so far. He was here at Leon's early to collect the rest of his payment. He was thirsty.

Half an hour later, Freddy figured out that Charles was not coming. He had already ordered and eaten a California Burger with grilled onions and a large fry and drunk a sweet tea. He had no money to pay for the meal, and he found himself getting madder and madder. He got up ready to run from the bill when he saw that lady walk in, the one in the woods looking for William. He knew her. He'd told her a lie once that Charles paid him to tell. He went up to Bernie who was there for her own California cheeseburger.

"Hey you, did you come in his place, he owes me twenty bucks."

"Who? What?" and then, "Oh hey, Freddy, how are you?"

"Pissed, that's what I am," said Smelly Freddy. "I done ordered food, and I got no money to pay for it, thanks to your uncle, he owes me twenty bucks. Stinking, lying no good son-of-a-bitch."

"Well, I am sorry about that," said Bernie lowering her voice and taking a seat at the counter, "Let me get your lunch."

"Well, ma'am, that would be real nice of you." He flashed his missing tooth grin at her and sat down at the counter next to her so close she tried to stop breathing through her nose. Smelly Freddy had not taken his bi-yearly bath yet.

"You real nice. And cause you so nice, I want you to know he lied to you too."

"Oh really," said Bernie, "When?"

"He weren't out there looking for William last time. He paid me to lie to you."

"Really?" said Bernie. "What do you mean last time?"

"Oh he was looking for him another time, earlier, 'bout the time William got gone. I think he found him then, but I can't say for sure, cause right after he came by, that's when William got gone. Awful co-wince-a-dental, in my opinion."

Bernie was in disbelief. "Are you sure?"

"Ma'am, I might be homeless and not so clean once in awhile, but I pride myself on my memory and my honesty. Ask anybody, I got an honest reputation."

Bernie paid the bill, but did not sit down to eat. She was going to talk to her Uncle Charles and find out the truth. Bernie was mad, maybe even madder than Smelly Freddy.

As for Freddy, he went looking for the Sheriff. He was going to file a complaint for failure to pay for services against Mr. Charles Livengood. And while he was at the Sheriff's office, he might sue Mr. Charles Livengood too for pain and suffering because he was sure suffering now without his next drink.

Author's Note: Sorry for slowing the action down, but wanted you to know that if you make a trip to Mount airy, stop at Leon's and get a California Burger. They'll even make it for breakfast. I know this because we used to take our kids to breakfast every Friday before school, and I'd order a buger.