Cream's Episode

That night had been Cream's worst night ever. She didn't want to go to bed, not when she knew Sonic and her Mother and Dad was still awake at the hospital, so she sat on the couch until her tiredness caught up and she feel asleep, dreaming about the days when Sonic used to be able to run around free and happy, when they'd all go on adventures and stop Eggman together.

***

That next morning she woke up to the door opening, hearing her mother and Vector walk in, quietly talking with Espio and her Grandparents.
Cream peered round the hallway, surprised to find her mother, crying, talking to Espio:
"You know?"
"Yeah,"

Vanilla cried more, before Vector nodded upstairs.
She looked up, finding Cream stood there.

"Come here Cream," she seemed to wipe the tears away, holding her arms out for a hug.
"Mother where's Sonic?" The young rabbit questioned as they embraced.

"He... had to stay at the hospital this time," Vanilla explained.
"Why?"
"He's not very well,"

"I'll go get his things.." Vector sighed as he stomped up the stairs.
"Can I come back with you I want to see Sonic!" Cream decided as Vanilla grabbed her warmer coat.

"Wouldn't you rather stay here and help Grandma and Grandpa put their Christmas decorations up?" Vanilla tried to change her mind, but Cream was adamant.

"Right here we are!" Vector announced as he walked back down with a large bag, the trio walking back to the car.

***

The ride there was silent, so Cream occupied herself by looking in the large bag. A few of Sonic's blankets, some books, and his headphones and music, along with some other things.
"Why does Sonic need his things?" She questioned.

"Remember when you had your tonsils taken out and you had to stay in hospital for a few days? And how I brought you your big Fluttershy pony from home?" Vanilla reminded, Cream nodding silently, "Well, it's like that."

"How long will he be in hospital?"

"As long as it takes dear"

***

Walking through the hall, Cream screwed her nose up at the smell of the hospital as they found the right room, Cream finding Sonic talking to presumably Tails on a video call.

"Sonic!" She shouted excitedly, running over, "You're okay!"
"Yeah uh.." he seemed tired, like he'd been up all night studying for the world's hardest test, "Got to go now Tails, see you soon."

"Okay, stay safe," and with that, the call ended.
"Why was Mr. Tails so upset as well?" Cream asked.

"Huh? Oh.. he's just pretty worried about me," the blue yawned.

"Got you your things," Vector smiled, placing the bag next to him.
"Oh thanks," Sonic smiled a bit, finding tone of his blankets, "it's real cold in here."
"You want a latte? I'm about to go get a drink myself."

"Coffee would be great," Sonic yawned yet again.
Cream frowned. Even Sonic seemed more down beat then usual.

As Vector left, the two noticed Vanilla outside apparently arguing with a doctor.

"Isn't there anything you can do?" They both heard Vanilla argue, "Anything at all?"
"Ma'am, for the last time, it's terminal," the doctor whispered, "No one knows anything about how Phantom Rubies work"

"Why is Mother angry with the doctor? He's going to make you better," Cream questioned, getting upset.

Sonic stayed silent, not answering her question
"Why don't we listen to some music?" He suggested as he found some of his old CDs in the bag.
"Okay," Cream nodded.

***

About half an hour had passed, Vector checking the time, "Cream it's time to go now,"
"Oh.. okay," she hesitantly got up, "bye Sonic,"

"Bye Cream"

***

Back at the house, Cream decided to go find Espio. He knows what was going on.

But rushing up to his door, she peaked round the corner to find him talking to someone over a phone.

"So, see you Friday night?" He seemed nervous.
"Of course! I'm looking forward to it!" She heard another voice.

Silver? The young rabbit wondered, before smiling Oh my goodness they're going on a date!
That was enough to cheer her up. She loved just seeing people happy, which is why it was so hard to see everyone so downbeat, especially her brother.

Then she had an idea.
She rushed off down to the kitchen, where she found her Grandparents and Charmy, making some decorations.

"Oh hello Cream!" Beatrix smiled, "Do you want some cookies"
"Yes please!" Cream smiled, taking one from the plate, before going back on her mission, looking through a box.

"What are you looking for?" The elderly rabbit wondered over, peering inside the box.
"An old photo album of Sonic's" Cream explained, "It's got loads of pictures from his old adventures with us! But there's also pictures with Longclaw, and I'm looking for something I saw on one of them,"

Beatrix smiled, not sure who 'Longclaw' was. But, they sounded important to Cream so she let her get on with it.

Indy screeched, before jumping onto the table.
"Chaos owl!" Beatrix yelled, "You're going to give me a heart attack!"

The owl darted off again, upstairs, before returning a few seconds later with the exact book Cream was looking for.
"Thank you Indy!" The girl stroked the owl's feathers, and her purred.

Sonic had tried multiple times to release the bird, but he was adamant that he wanted to stay.
Sonic was certain he was getting spoiled.

"I bet you miss Sonic as well," she giggled as the bird nibbled her finger.

That was when Vector burst back in, Vanilla with him this time.
"Mother!" Cream rushed over, giving her a hug.

"What are you doing back so early?" Beatrix wondered, worry in her voice.
"Sonic said he can't do canteen food again." Vanilla laughed, "So I said I'd come home and make lunch and bring it back"
"Oh you can take some cookies back to" Beatrix offered

"Mother?" Cream asked shyly, holding the photo that she'd found.
"What is it?"
"I was looking through these old photos and I found this one," she showed the picture of a younger Sonic with Longclaw.

Vanilla held a hand to her mouth. It was the first time she'd seen a picture of Sonic as a young pup, and it made her emotional.
"Mother can we get Sonic one of these?" She pointed at something in the photo, Vanilla smiling, "I think it would cheer him up"
"Of course dear" Vanilla bent down to her level, "We'll go shopping tomorrow."

She hugged her daughter, "You have such a sweet heart of gold. Just like Sonic"