TWENTY FOUR

Mustafar is a horrible, hideous planet, covered with hot, bubbling magma, brewing volcanoes, and jagged rock. Rivers of lava stream around the planet, and Liana grimaces at the thought of bringing her children here instead of home to Naboo.

"This is no place for children," Liana sighs, biting her lip as Obi-Wan leads the ship down towards a landing platform just as a nearby lava stream bursts up, nearly hitting the hull of the ship.

"I'm afraid you're correct," Threepio agrees as they descend past what appears to be a control tower. Liana notices a figure standing there, their shadow lit up amongst the bright orange lava exploding behind them.

The person reaches up and draws back their hood, and it is Anakin who stands there. He watches as the ship touches down on the landing platform before jogging across a narrow bridge to get to them.

Liana firmly presses the button to open the hatch of the ship, easing out of her seat before slipping on her cloak. She ensures her twins are secured beneath the fabric wrapping around her before she leaves. Every footstep feels heavy and leadened as she walks off the ship just as Anakin turns the corner and strides toward her.

His dark brown cloak billows behind him as he closes the space between them. "Princess? What are you doing out here?"

"I had to come," Liana manages to say, inches away from him as she unravels her cloak enough for him to see. "I was so worried about you,"

"But—" He nearly stops in his tracks at the sight of her. At what she carries. Liana unwraps the fabric enough to bring out Luke, while keeping Leia still firmly against her.

Anakin is speechless as he watches her. She double checks his swaddle is protective enough against the heat of the foul planet before handing him gently over to Anakin. Tears are streaming down his face as he holds his newborn son.

"Our son," he breathes. "You—you gave birth. And lived,"

She nods, her own eyes watering. "Ani, Obi-Wan, he told me terrible things,"

"What things?" he demands, finally tearing his eyes away from his son.

"He said you've turned to the dark side. That you...killed younglings? Is it true?"

"Obi-Wan is trying to turn you against me," he argues, gently rocking Luke.

Liana shakes her head. "He cares about us,"

"Us?" repeats Anakin incredulously.

"He knows—he knows and he wants to help you—help us, be together," Liana tells him. "All I want is you, and your love, Ani,"

"I know princess," he says, biting his bottom lip, deep in thought. "But you don't understand, I have new powers! I am becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of! And I'm doing it for you. To protect you, to protect our family,"

Luke begins to cry, and Anakin carefully hands him back to Liana. She gently wraps him back up against her chest, shielding him from the ugly planet, soothingly rubbing his back.

"Ani, you don't need to. Just—come away with me. We can go raise our babies on Naboo," argues Liana. "Leave everything else behind while we still can. You were so worried about saving me, but look, I'm here. Alive, with our children. I don't need saving, don't you see?"

"We don't have to run away anymore!" he exclaims, cupping her cheek. "I have brought peace to the Republic. I'm more powerful than the Chancellor, I can overthrow him!"

"Ani—" she begins.

"Together, you and I can rule the galaxy! Make things the way we want them to be!" Anakin declares, a smile growing on his face.

"Ani, I don't want to rule anything. I just want to raise our children. In the lake country," she manages to say, despite her heart breaking.

"And we will!" he insists. "Princess, we'll get you back there right now. Just—let me take care of things here,"

"But Obi-Wan—"

"I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan," he says harshly, his brow furrowing. "The Jedi turned against me. Don't you dare turn against me too,"

"I'm not—Gods, Ani! I just want things to be the way they used to be!" she cries out, the twins both crying as well.

"The way they used to be? I was weak! Now I'm stronger, don't you understand?" he continues, temper rising.

"Ani—you're going down the wrong path. Take my hand, come back to me," she pleads, reaching out a hand to his own. "I love you!"

"You brought Obi-Wan?" he seethes, looking behind her. "You brought him here to kill me!"

"No! He won't! He said he could help you!" Liana sobs, turning to see Obi-Wan standing with his hands on his hips, poised to strike. "Please, Ani, please! You're upsetting the babies!"

"Get back on the ship, Liana," Anakin says coldly. "And let me handle him,"

"Ani—don't kill him!" Liana cries, stepping away from her husband. "Think of your son! Your daughter!"

"Get on the ship, Liana," rings out Obi-Wan's voice. She stares at Anakin. Her husband.

"I don't care what you've done—we can work through it. I-I love you, Ani," she begs. "Please, there's no need for any of this anymore,"

Liana turns to look at Obi-Wan. "If you want to kill him—you'll have to kill me too,"

"No, Liana. You will not lose your life for me,"

"I will do nothing of the sort," Obi-Wan retorts. "Get on the ship,"

Liana listens to the cries of her children, and realizes, they must come first now. Her eyes meet Anakin's once more, pleadingly before she turns back to the ship. She doesn't look back.

"You will not take her from me!" Anakin shouts as she makes it up into the ship. The hatch door slams shuts behind her, against her will, leaving Liana with the sobs of her infants to drown out the sounds of Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting.

✭・.・✫

Liana forgets to take a breath until the moment the hatch door opens and Obi-Wan steps inside. In his hands lay Anakin's brown cloak. He drops it on an empty chair.

"Where is he?" she demands, jumping to her feet, holding a crying Leia. Luke sits in Threepio's cautious arms. "What's happened?"

"He escaped," explains the Jedi, falling to his seat in defeat. Parts of his robes have ben singed. "Just as I was about to kill him, Palpatine's ship flew by. He jumped onto it, and disappeared,"

"He went back...to Palpatine?" Liana repeats slowly, trying to make sense of the words.

"Anakin has turned to the Dark Side," insists Obi-Wan as he begins firing up the ship. "He has fashioned himself a new name—Darth Vader."

"No," Liana shakes her head, a single tea slipping from her watering eyes. "I don't understand,"

"Nor do I, but we must leave this terrible planet," he states, his face crestfallen as the ship takes off into the sky.

"Where will we go from here?" she asks thickly.

"I plan to convene with the remaining Jedi. You're welcome to accompany me,"

"No. No, take me home," she whispers beside him as the ship ascends into space. "To Naboo."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

author's note:

ummmm so that happened..also yay anakin isnt a burnt marshmallow ! a lil plot twist for ya! this fic has 2 chapters left unless i end up going crazy and writing more.