Hungary - Escape

MIA'S POV:

The ball settled smoothly at my foot, and I shot my foot back before launching it forward making contact. I watched in satisfaction while it smashed into the wall and then zoomed back to me. The trap of the soccer ball feeling smooth when it came back to me. It felt like forever since I last touched a soccer ball, and I had missed it. Plus the therapy it was giving me.

If I couldn't escape the grid today, I was going to do it my way. A flat wall away from the action, even if it was only for a few minutes before race prep started. My mind could push out everything that had gone on the last few weeks. Specifically my last conversation with Fischer.

A conversation I still hadn't formed full feelings about. Mostly because he might have been right, no matter how much I didn't like it.

You need to figure it out what you want. If it's even up for question, I'm not sticking around to find out.

I spent that whole conversation fighting it. Telling him we can't throw years away because he's worried about a guy I work with.

But this wasn't the romantic comedy where the guys sticks around to see if he's chosen. Fischer sniffed out all my behavior on the trip, and he was only looking for one response.

When I couldn't give it, he closed out our chapter. He wanted it's only you, I'll come see you in Germany.

I only fought my point that there was nothing going on and couldn't leave work, but Fischer was right. I was only lying to myself. There were thoughts always on my mind, and hell, I even verbalized it to Kika on the boat. Charles was sneaking into my mind all the time even when I didn't expect it. As much as it broke me to not give Fischer the saving sentence to our relationship, I couldn't do it.

Leaving me with the final words from Fischer. I hope the best for you Mia. I'm sorry I couldn't give that to you. 

That stung, but it was fair. His absence was hard, it felt like I was forgetting something each morning or night these last few weeks. But to an extent that was it, it gave me hope that what happened was right.

One of the harder parts though, having to put up a front with Pierre. He never asked anything those first few days after the trip, leaving me to my business and assuming everything was fine.

Pierre finally asked what was going on when he found out Fischer wasn't coming to Hungary. He wanted to know why, so I finally spilled we had just broken up a couple days ago. Pierre's overall reaction was brotherly, but my fear came true when he asked if there was a reason. I had been wondering if the ask Charles comment made him skeptical. Pierre never brought Charles up, but he did call me out when I said it was the distance.

He gave me the most annoying brother response possible. I'll be ready to talk when you are.

Thinking about Pierre's response only frustrated me more because it was the right thing to say. My foot drilled the soccer ball harder.

"What do you want me to say Pierre, I have feelings for our closest family friend and your best friend," I mumbled to myself quickly trapping the ball back to my foot.

"Talking to yourself." The voice was slightly familiar and already unwelcome. My head snapped behind me to confirm that Jeremy walked up.

I turned my attention back to the soccer ball kicking it again, hoping he would get the message I wasn't interested in entertaining a conversation. A naive hope.

"I've learned a little bit about you since our last conversation Pierre's sister. Your soccer skills show it." Jeremy's voice closer this time making it clear he had entered my space.

"Well that's all there is to know," I grumbled keeping my vision on the ball.

I heard his footsteps go in front of me. "Care for a passing partner?"

I finally looked up at him, the smug smile on his face. "I'll leave you to the wall," I said politely taking a step back and leaving the ball.

"There's more to know about you Mia. At least a chat."

"What's there to know. You already know everything right?" A gave him a stiff smile and started my stride back towards the grid.

"American soccer star, moved to Monaco, writer," he called after me. "More than Pierre's sister."

"Good you're learning," I yelled over my shoulder.

He let out a laugh and I was close to my escape just based off distance. "Newly single."

My pace stopped and my jaw tensed. My body failing not to give a reaction. No one knew except family and close friends that were far away from formula 1. How could he know? I had no response and only thought to keep walking.

"I'll see you at the after party. I'll keep an eye out for you Mia," Jeremy continued.

I finally turned around to look back at him, my eyes as neutral as possible. "Like I would go," I challenged back before leaving for good. The image of Jeremy simply grinning haunted me though. How could he know I was single?

~

Like I would go. I decided fate had a funny sense of humor. Standing in front of the hotel mirror in my outfit, I was ready to go out in Budapest.

Pierre won his second ever race today, and I wasn't going to miss celebrating. It was the only possible thing that would make me go out tonight, and it happened.

A sigh escaped me as I tugged on the fabric of my clothes, downed the glass of wine I poured for confidence, and grabbed my purse.

There were only a few goals I had in mind tonight. Celebrate Pierre, find out how Jeremy knew I was single, and act normal around Charles.