20

No one had a spare jacket.

Who goes on a quest without a spare jacket? Especially in the winter when it's cold?

Jace's puffer jacket had been melted— quite literally. Scaling up (ha, scaling) a dragon that's skin was emitting warmth and fire did not do well with a human that was wearing flammable material. His camp shirt had gotten a bit burned but the jacket stopped it from burning off entirely.

His skin was still red and he had gotten small blisters on his palms that he didn't have much way of healing now that they were saving what little ambrosia they had left. He was shivering behind Leo and he truly didn't have much energy left anymore, so he just gave in and leaned against Leo's back.

THe boy was warm and finally he knew why. Leo's entire body could create flames so it made sense for him to be warm, he decided to stop thinking and just try to fall asleep. It wasn't that comfortable to sleep against the wall in a bad smelling sewer, so he just tried enjoying the warmth that came from both Leo and Festus.

"Can you warm up your body even more? Thanks." Jace mumbled against Leo's back. He felt the boy tense up with his words before mumbling something in Spanish, "No soy un maldito calentador." Jace didn't know what the boy was saying but he didn't give it a second thought when his body warmed up more and Jace's teeth weren't clattering too badly.

Madeline could be back. If Medea was able to climb back up from the dead then why couldn't she? If he would meet her again after all these years, what would he actually do?

He could kill her again. That would maybe make him feel better. But...did he really want her dead again? She took all he cared about from him, but could he take it away from himself all over again?

Bah, too many questions. Jace didn't want to think about it. But then again...Dirt woman's deal. If he took it, then his chances of seeing her again would most likely increase, if she was the patron that made it possible for Medea to get back from the dead. Medea wasn't exactly a demigod, she was more like a human even if she did practice sorcery— and that would mean demigods could also come back up.

But what would he have to do to make her happy? She was a god, kinda, that was something Jace was sure of. To world or fire the world must fall. She wanted the end of the world? Or, maybe not like destroying the world, but more like she wanted the world under her own control.

"We're going to have to put down soon," Leo warned them. "Couple more hours, maybe, to make sure Medea's not following us. I don't think Festus can fly much longer than that." Jace tried to spot any place they could land on.

"Yeah," Piper agreed. "Coach Hedge probably wants to get out of his canary cage, too. Question is—where are we going?"

"Who is coach Hedge?" His question got ignored, maybe he wasn't being loud enough.

"The Bay Area," Leo guessed. It sounded awfully familiar, kind of like the purple shirt. "Didn't Medea say something about Oakland?"

Piper didn't respond for so long, Jace thought she'd fallen asleep. "Piper's dad," Jason put in. "Something's happened to your dad, right? He got lured into some kind of trap."

Piper let out a shaky breath. "Look, Medea said you would all die in the Bay Area. And besides ... even if we went there, the Bay Area is huge (could be bigger)! First we need to find Aeolus and drop off the storm spirits. Boreas said Aeolus was the only one who could tell us exactly where to go."

Leo grunted. "So how do we find Aeolus?"

Jason leaned forward. "You mean you don't see it?" He pointed ahead of them, but Leo didn't see anything except clouds and the lights of a few towns glowing in the dusk. "What?" Leo asked.