chapter 3: nothing but death

Jaune:Morning, Crystal

I greeted, the sizzle of eggs and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee filling the kitchen. She stretched, a yawn escaping her as her fox tails swayed gently behind her. The soft morning light painted a warm glow on the scene, and I couldn't help but smile.

Crystal:Morning, Daddy!

Crystal chimed, her eyes still heavy with sleep. She padded over, the plush carpet muffling the sound of her footsteps. As she sat down at the table, I noticed her scratching her fox ears, a habit that always made her seem more endearing.

Jaune:Did you sleep well?

I asked, flipping the eggs with practiced ease. The clinking of utensils and the rhythmic sounds of breakfast preparation filled the kitchen as we settled into our morning routine.

Crystal:Yeah, but I had the weirdest dream

she said, her eyes widening with a mix of curiosity and excitement.

Crystal:I was in a magical forest, and you were there, too! We were surrounded by talking animals, and you had a sword that glowed with, like, cosmic energy or something.

I chuckled, pouring orange juice into a pair of glasses.

Jaune:That sounds like quite the adventure. Maybe it's a sign we should plan a little father-daughter outing to the woods sometime.

Crystal's eyes lit up at the idea.

Crystal:Really, Daddy? That would be amazing! Can we bring snacks and maybe see if any magical animals want to join us?

Jaune:Absolutely

I replied, setting the breakfast plates on the table.

Jaune:We'll make it a grand exploration, just like in your dream.

As we sat down to eat, the conversation flowed effortlessly. Crystal shared her plans for the day – a playdate with a friend and an art project she was excited about. I listened intently, savoring the simple joy of these ordinary moments. The kitchen became a haven of laughter and warmth, a sanctuary where the connection between a father and his daughter blossomed.

Midway through breakfast, Crystal paused, looking thoughtful.

Crystal:Daddy, do you think magic is real?

I pondered her question, taking a sip of coffee.

Jaune:Well, not the kind with wands and spells, but there's a different kind of magic in the world. The magic of love, kindness, and the extraordinary moments we create together.

Her eyes sparkled with understanding, and she nodded.

Crystal:I like that kind of magic, Daddy.

And in that ordinary kitchen, over a simple breakfast, the enchantment of our bond unfolded, weaving a tale of love, laughter, and the magical moments that make life truly extraordinary.

In the quiet recesses of my mind, thoughts linger like shadows, and today, they circle around the labyrinth of my dual life. As a mercenary and an assassin, my days are spent navigating the treacherous currents of danger and deception. Yet, amidst the chaos of contracts and covert missions, there exists a delicate concern that tugs at the edges of my conscience – the impact of my chosen path on Crystal, my precious daughter.

I can't escape the realization that my profession, draped in shadows and stained with the echoes of silenced adversaries, is not the most conducive environment for a child to flourish. Crystal, with her innocent laughter and boundless curiosity, deserves a life unburdened by the shadows I've willingly embraced. The conflict within intensifies as I grapple with the paradox of providing her a comfortable life while remaining entrenched in a world steeped in danger.