Chapter Sixty

🌻Hey, gorgeous! You can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series from Emended Hearts at www.emendedhearts.com or click the external link at the bottom of the page.🌻

💗💗💗

Day 29

My eyes are glued to the clock on my night stand. It's 11:40 PM, and my brain reluctantly registers the implication of the time. In twenty short minutes, it will be the beginning of the last day before Frost's "offer" is completely off the table.

I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by. Twenty-nine full days, and they've all snuck away from me like nothing, even though each and every single one of them has been busy and hectic and miserable as hell.

I tear my gaze away from the numbers, pinching the bridge of my nose in exhaustion. Too many thoughts keep trying to take over my mind at the same time, grappling and fighting with each other for my attention. I feel overwhelmed. Beyond overwhelmed, even; like I'm suffocating inside my own body. I seriously feel like I'm on the verge of imploding, at the very edge of having a nervous breakdown. If things keep going the way they've been, chances are that's exactly what's going to happen.

I wish all my problems could just go away at the snap of my fingers so I wouldn't have to feel like this, so I wouldn't have to feel this shitty and miserable and worried all the time, but I know that's not going to happen. So I figure I'll do the next best thing—and the only thing, really—that I can right now to relieve some of the stress I feel; take a hot shower.

I saunter over to the bathroom, my feet deliberately slow and steady, taking their time as they carry my exhausted body through the door. There's no rush. No reason to be hasty. At least not tonight.

I strip as I go, removing piece after piece of all my clothing, letting everything fall where it may. I'm completely naked by the time I step into the shower except for my glasses, which I don't even realize I'm still wearing until I turn on the shower head.

My vision immediately becomes obscured as my lenses get wet and foggy under the hot spray, nothing but steam and large water droplets coming into my view. But as soon as I feel the hot water hit my skin, I can't even be bothered to take them off, so I leave them be, all fogged up and everything. Besides, it's not like I need to see right now. All I want to do is feel; feel the heat and pressure of the water on my body.

The water continues to pour down on me, and my eyes flutter closed at the amazing feel of it running down my back, easing some of the stiffness there and slowly relaxing the overly tense muscles in my neck and shoulders. A small sigh of contentment escapes my lips at the relieving sensations.

I continue to undulate under the pressure of the running water, the hot liquid cascading all over my body, completely drenching my unruly locks, making the tiny curls and springs stretch and sag from the added weight.

The hot water feels great against my hair, against my scalp, against everything; washing away the filth and exhaustion and the typical bar smell of cigarettes and alcohol from my body. But as much as I will it to, it cannot wash away the image of Frost from my mind.

Even with my eyes closed, I can still see his icy eyes with an almost eerie clarity, their unique blue hue magnificent and arresting. Just the memory of them alone is enough to make my body do things I wish it wouldn't, and it still baffles me that someone's gaze can be so piercing and penetrating and intense and that the simplest of looks from him can make my body both shiver uncontrollably and burn all over at the same time.