Chapter Forty-Eight

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

My eyes burn.

Really badly.

They've been burning since yesterday morning, ever since my eyes landed on what was inside that damn folder. And they continued to burn through today's morning practice and all my classes.

And they're still burning now, probably even more than they were before as I stomp through the main hallway of the surgical center.

"Excuse me, Miss, you can't go through there," I hear a female voice call after me, but I don't stop.

"Miss, office hours are over. You cannot go in there!" she repeats.

Her words still don't stop me. I can't stop. Not when I'm cranky and pissed off and the very cause of my crankiness and anger is right here in this building. I hear her shuffle behind me, presumably to chase after me. But I still keep going.

I didn't sleep last night. I couldn't. At all. Not even for a little bit. And now my feet won't stop moving. My fingers won't stop twitching. And my fucking eyes won't stop burning behind my glasses.

I ride up the elevator and bend into a familiar corridor, practically stomping the entire way there, and I push the door open without a second thought. My eyes immediately land on my target.

Dexter fucking Frost.

He looks up at me from behind his desk as soon as I'm inside. Our eyes lock, and all at once, I feel the strangest mix of feelings I think I ever have at the same time. I'm really not even sure which I feel more of; rage, confusion, frustration, and the most unsettling—immense attraction.

I'm breathing hard, and each exhale leaves my lungs in an audible huff. I angrily throw the folder on his desk right in front of him.

"What the hell is this?" I demand.

I know damn well what it is. I read each and every single word in it at least five times—mainly to make sure I wasn't going crazy or suddenly dyslexic. But more than anything, I think I'm having quite a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around the simple fact that the fucking folder even exists to begin with.

I'm also having quite a bit of trouble understanding why he'd send it to me through his "buddy" Minderah, of all people, so he'd better have a damn good explanation for this.

A moment later, I hear the same nurse's voice behind me again, only this time, she sounds extra pissed.

"Hey! You cannot go in there! If you don't get the hell out right now I'm going to call security—"

"It's alright, Brenda," he interjects, rising from his chair and gesturing for her to calm down.

I want so badly to turn around and tell the bitch that she's the one who needs to get the hell out right now, but I don't. As tempting as it is, she's not the one I'm mad at. All the fault lies with the blue-eyed douchebag standing opposite me who she also obviously answers to. He's the reason I'm here at all.

I hear her mumble something under her breath and make an annoyed sound right before I hear the sound of the door close behind me. A short silence ensues, punctuated only by my harsh breathing and frantic heartbeat.

The full extent of the current situation quickly dawns on me; once again, I find myself in a closed room with this man, only this time, it's for a different reason. A very different reason.